.303 British Bandoliers in sealed can

OK, so I picked up this sealed can with part of the label missing. I was told that it is probably Radway Green but I’m looking for positive ID.

It looks like the year is still visible on the label and it appears to be 50.

Can anyone tell me what British companies were still producing .303 in Bandoliers in 1950? I was told that these came two in a crate and not singles in the wood boxes like the WWII stuff.

I’m not going to open the can so any help would be appreciated.

Michael

Since there is no way of seeing the Factory indicator (which is part of the "packing"date at the bottom of the label…all that is left is “50” (1950), the only way to tell the Factory is to open the can and check the cartridges in the bandoleers.

Factories still making .303 ammo in 1950 include Kynoch, Radway Green,Greenwood and Batley, and probably Royal Laboratory…K, RG, GB, R^L.

A lot of GB , K, ammo was supplied to Greece and other allied states during the late 40s and early 50s. ( both makers and 50 dates appear in the greek Milsurp on the US & Aussie market back in the 1980s…in sealed tins and crates.

The Can you have photographed has been Removed from its Plywood Lining, ( for reasons unknown) and was then packed back into the standard Steel ammo chest ( 2 Liners per chest.). The Plywood Liner has carry handles for combat use.

Regards,
Doc AV

This with my British 303 ammo headstamped GB 50 7.

Ammo in gorgeous 50-rnd tan bandoliers stamped E.H.P. MK. 3/1. 7-49. Notes in Greek inside of wooden box, and Greek stenciled letters over original British markings on outside of box.

Thanks for the historical information DocAV!

dArtagnan, that is a good picture. I love the labels and think they are just as important historically as the ammo they represent. I would love to see some good close-ups of the box and inside label :)

Michael

Again, a SHort Post reply has #%^&&%@##$ Disappeared!!!

The Greek notes and overtsamps indicate Open case inspection of the ammo by the Greek Artillery Service.
Sometimes clips ( one or two) were test fired, and replaced with new HXP or similar British-made ammo.
Inspection dates are usually present in the overstamp. They follow the “Rule of Fives”.

The Green Lable on the can lid is the standard british Ammo label, applied to all MoD ammo. Same label design, only different Factory indicators with “Packing Date”…The “H” number is the Label Drawing number.
Doc AV

Labels appear never to have been glued on, found at bottom of wooden crate.

Greek note, same 389 pi-alfa-pi as stenciled on crate.

Top of rough wooden crate.

End of wooden crate stenciled with same lot number.

Already opened tins inside wooden crate, note brown wool blanketing? under lids.

Finally ammo and bandoliers.

Nice pictures, I’m jealous…

1950 is quite a late date for that wooden .303 crate. By then the so called “Universal” packaging was well into service and the normal .303 BDR packaging was in the steel H50 crate containing two H51 plywood boxes each with a sealed H52 tin liner with 300 rounds in each. (similar to those in this wooden crate).

Regards
TonyE

Thanks for the historical pictures! It adds a great deal to the information I was looking for with my original post.

Now if I could just find a complete crate, I would repack it for fun :)

Michael