I have a number of 303 British cartridges made by Dominion, Defense Industries, Spennymoor, and FN circa 1942 to 1952. I have searched my meager resources but cannot locate either the color codes or the numerical codes for these cartridges.
Here are the Canadian headstamps and a description.
- DC G IV Z 1942 - grey tip (or dirty white)
- DI Z 1943 - grey tip
- DI Z 1942 - red tip about 5mm long, cupronickel bullet, flat tip
- DI Z 1944 - red tip about 10mm long, gilding metal jacket, flat tip
One from Royal Ordinance Factory in Spennymoor.
- SR BVIIZ 1943 - dark green tip, gilding metal jacket, flat tip
Here are three from FN in Belgium.
- F N 1950 - red tip, red case mouth, red primer annulus, cupronickel jacket
- F N 1952 - red tip, red case mouth, green primer annulus, cupronickel jacket
- F N 1952 - blue tip, blue case mouth, green primer annulus, cupronickel jacket
I have found some information about these but it isn’t quite enough to be definitive. I do know what the “Z” identifies. I would be most appreciative for any information about the functional purpose of these cartridges. Also any references that would help me ID color codes in the future would also be good know.