.303 British Dummy

Does anyone know what kind of dummy this is?
I can’t find him at A.O.Edwards or B.A.Temple.
He has four holes in the case, the bullet is not magnetic and he has a wooden spacer.
It is similar to the “Cartridge S.A. Drill .303 inch (Expedient WW2)” from Greenwood & Batley, but I don’t think they were made after the WW2.
This case was made in 1953.
Zuschneiden_26
Zuschneiden_27

If it was’nt for the headstamp date you would just say you had a nice MkVII drill round but of course the 1953 case manufacture is a bit late. These ones with the holes were supposed to have not been made after 1946 but we have known published info to be wrong, Lets see if anyone else has any idea’s

Richard.

I can’t think of many, if any, adopted British dummies which have their primer left in place. I’m inclined to think that this is possibly the product of another country - perhaps the Netherlands or Denmark?

This appears to be a rehashed Mk 7 Ball case. While it seems to be a genuine dummy I’d have to agree with Jim.
Any drill rounds of this vintage would usually be fluted and have an oversized primer pocket. Such as either Drill Mk 7 or Drill Mk. 10

Probably Dutch, Belgian, or Greek
Has been used repeatedly in Bren gun drill…look at the crossed oblong FP indentations and ejector
gashes.
Doc AV

Another possibility is of a police issue drill round. Particularly in the 1950s and 1960s, some UK & Commonwealth police forces contracted their drill rounds from British Ordnance factories. Below is an example of a Royal Ulster Constabulary .303 drill round, which were contracted in a number of different calibres, with the RUC specification being no primer, exposed flash holes and anvil, wood distance piece, and chromed case. If a different country included in their spec that an inert primer be fitted, it would make sense for risk mitigation to drill the case walls also as an additional visible indicator. Don’t know if the cartridge at the top of the thread is a police drill round, but I thought I would throw in the suggestion to add to the debate!

1 Like

Thank you so much for your replies.
Now i just have to find out what kind of country she used it for.