.303 British ID

Can someone ID this for me? I have no idea what the four holes are on the projectile. Thanks as usual my friends!

image image image

Italian incendiary round. The holes are to increase the probability that the envelope ruptures, thus increasing the chance that the incendiary composition ignites and has the intended effect on the target.

Ok… thanks gents!! Now, is this next one an Australian grenade launching cartridge or a blank where the wooden bullet is missing…?

Would be much more useful if each round had its own thread for future searchers.

You’re right, my apologies

Ref: https://militarycartridges.com/category/115-303/

Thank you very much. I have a new computer on the way this week which will greatly enhance my search capabilities instead of relying on this phone all the time.

This incendiary loading was intended for the Breda SAFAT 7.7 m/m aircraft MG. The 7.7 m/m rimmed (.303) in Italian service was primarily an aircraft caliber in the Second World War. Jack

Great info Jack thanks. I have another one that is stumping me… I don’t have any books on .303 yet and my search capabilities are limited with this phone. Can you help me out here?

Japanese 7.7 Type 89/92 Naval Aviation MG ammo ( T89 Vickers, T92 Lewis, for Air andShipboard use)
E IJN Naval yards(?),
III quadrimester, Year 2402 (1942)

Doc AV

This is a standard Mk VII ball that has lost its projectile.

Whilst rejected cases were used for blanks, the case mouth was always crimped. Grenade launching rounds from that period had their own HS (with the code H), had half or full blackened cases and the disc was lacquered.

Thanks Sam - I always thought the blue tipped variety was the API.

Thanks Mayhem!

Thanks a lot Doc, I was having a hard time with this one

Hi Mayhem, both the blue and green tipped ones of these are API, blue being phosphorous and the green being phosphorous/thermite.

Atb
Tony

1 Like

Thanks Tony.

1 Like

Welshpool, monogram MW, only made Ball and Blank .303s. As Mayhem said, all blanks had the rose petal crimp. A large proportion used ball cases, either reject, or just taken from the line. Of the 1,008,000 blanks delivered in 1942/43, I have yet toe see one with the correct designation in the headstamp i.e. LV