.303 British Line Throwing tin

Here’s a tin for the .303 British line throwing cartridges. It would have held 10 of the blackened case blank cartridges, probably with the headstamp R broadarrow L 43 H II, intended for use by the Royal Navy. These are the same as the rifle grenade blanks. There is a small paste-on ‘LINE THROWING’ overlabel; I assume it covers the original ‘RIFLE GRENADE’ that was on the label.

[quote=“Guy Hildebrand”]Here’s a tin for the .303 British line throwing cartridges. It would have held 10 of the blackened case blank cartridges, probably with the headstamp R broadarrow L 43 H II, intended for use by the Royal Navy. These are the same as the rifle grenade blanks. There is a small paste-on ‘LINE THROWING’ overlabel; I assume it covers the original ‘RIFLE GRENADE’ that was on the label.

[/quote]

Guy,

These same type of tins were still in use in 1966 when I was at sea on HMS Eagle. The ammo was dated 1954 if I remember correctly. The labels were printed for line throwing, no rifle grenades were in use using .303", so no need for the pasted on label change. These cartridges were also used by the Field Gun display teams in their 13 Pounder guns, they made a bigger bang than standard .303" blank.

gravelbelly

Now I need to find a few of the correctly headstamped 1943 cartridges. That one in the picture is a 1945.