.303 Clip

What is the correct mark of this unmarked .303 clip?
Is it a Portuguese modified Mk 1V ?
It has no base holes minor differences to a Mk1V. Grey steel finish.

Hi Ron, My understanding is that this is a standard Portuguese charger and not a variation of the Mk IV.

Yes, Initially, Portugal was supplied
by Britain with British and American-made .303 Ammo;
Clips were MarkII with slots in back.
By 1922, AE was making .303 Ammo, with a .250" Roth Berdan primer pocket. ( Cartuchoe com bala M.923, Cal.7mm.7)
Packets are marked “M923”, but in my detailed .303 AE collection, I have several with 1922 dates.
Also, the imported ammo was packed as “M919”.
When they ran out of Mark II chargers, they made their own, and simplified the design…less tooling required. Portugal never adopted the Mark III or IV design.
AE made .303 till 1937 ( retooled by RWS to 7,9 Mauser, with Two hole Berdan Case).
FCPQ made 7,9 during WWII, and FNM headstamps appeared on .303 in the 1950s ( .217" 2-hole Berdan ).
.303 was mostly usedby the Portuguese Navy, and their Vickers Guns ( army) were converted to 7,9 in 1938-40 ( Dolf Goldsmith), whilst the New 7,9 MG were German MG15, M937 Madsen, and
FN M30 BMG for vehicles ( in pairs) and Aircraft.
Doc AV

1 Like

These 4 holes per side chargers are unique to Portugal and can be found with several different finishes, I’ve seen phosphated, tinned, lacquered and black enamel paint, this last one also had 4 staggered holes in the base. The other thing that marks them out is that the end of the sidewall isn’t sheared to form a spring to retain the cartridges.

Pete

1 Like