.303 Dummy and Drill

I completely agree with you, my answer was for john kindred

1 Like

Thanks Laurent,
Your weight is a couple of grams lighter than a Mk VI Ball, so it’s not conclusively an Inspectors round.
The inspectors round of that mark had 30 grains of coal dust inside. If we could determine the difference in weight between the coal dust and a wooden distance piece we could possibly determine exactly what it is. Unfortunately, other than bullet weights, other weights are hard to come by.
The fact it is 1918 or later manufacture, without the holes in the case walls, still leads me to think, inspectors dummy. By that date case holes were a common practice.
Cheers
John

Darren,
Any access to an XRay? Would certainly answer the question.

Potentially…

you should be able to hear coal dust by shaking the case and filled inspectors dummys will not have fire holes

Good comment Tony, didn’t see that aspect of it. Back to square one?

The danish drill, which look like no. 4, can be determined by no primer in the pocket, and the cartridge rattles, when you shake it.
7,7mm FEPT 5

But it for sure looks like no. 4
Lars

We use a#6 Lead Shot or a spent Primer inside Movie Set Dressing Inerts ( includes “renovated spent primer in pocket”) eg, showing loading into revolver, filling Magazine, on Clips, Belts, etc.
The Rattle gives it ID as a Movie Dummy.
Real FMJ projectiles are scarce now ( as is a lot of WWII ammo)
so we use CNC brass profile Projectiles to substitute.

Doc AV
AVBFilmGuns
Brisbane

I shook mine like Tony suggested and it definitely has a filler of some description that moves when shaken.

Still interested in an x-ray if possible to distinguish type of filler
Cheers
John

Will see what I can do. If felt fairly solid and possibly is two distinct ‘clumps’.

Great!! Darren & Thanks

Here is my collection of 303 British dummy and inspectors.

1 Like

Awesome, really nice selection!!

My few samples: