.303 Dummy/Drill

I wish to know the maker or country that made this .303 Dummy cartridge.

It seems hollow with a dimple for firing pin and is 78mm long.

2 Likes

Hi.
Made by Kynoch for Thomas French ans Sons.

1 Like

Somehow I thought it was made by Thomas French & Sons & it had nothing to do with Kynoch?

From Tony Edwards site -

Thomas French Expedient Drill WW2

These rounds were not formally approved but were issued from 1940 onwards. They had been made by Kynoch in the immediate pre-war years for Thomas French and Sons of Manchester.

The round consists of a one piece drawn brass case and mock bullet. There is no cap chamber but a small depression in the base for the weapon firing pin.

Several minor variations exist. Examples are known that are tinned or have flutes in the case and there is another type with a wood plug in the base

Thanks Richard for the correction. & next time vickers59, I’ll check it out before opening my mouth.

I thought It quite strange really because Thomas French and sons were Curtain and blind makers at this time so what they needed all these Dummy/Drill rounds puzzled me and then when you look deeper you start to find Vickers machine gun belts and belt links being made by them, I even found a poster for a Rocket Launcher. Quite interesting when you get into the history of all these manufacturing people that changed over from everyday items to munition related products.

Richard.

Now that is very interesting.
Thanks Richard

Very interesting about T.French & Sons making Vickers belts.
I have a thin belt and stripper clips made by them Thanks.

If I remember correctly the info I found was for MkIV Wickers belts being sold by IMA and I have seen photos of Browning belts with the TF &S stencils.

Richard.

Hi
I have a similar model in my collection

1 Like

Ron - you collect big stuff and should put all this fiddly .303 stuff in a box. I’m come and collect once the borders are open again :)

Mayhem
You would need a cubic metre pallet box to hold it all.
Been collecting since 1963. Look at and enjoy my posted items.
I lose small stuff but seldom misplace a large item. Size really matters.

1 Like