.303 Dummy

I still have some problems with my Dummys !!

What about #1, is it a Dummy Drill mark I or Mark II ? What is the physical difference between Mk I and Mk II ?
I think #2 is a Mark III Dummy Drill (H/S E.15 VII) !
I didn’t find any document about #3. DUMMY is written on a sticked paper. H/S should be RL 9 0 ! Fake or real ??

Philippe

1st round I am not 100% sure because all the ones I know and info I have say they were Tinned all over and yours is not but I am not an expert.
2nd is a “Cartridge S.A. Dummy Drill .303 inch Mark III” from after 1907 due to bullet colour and holes.
3rd round is a “Cartridge for instruction S.A. Ball Magazine Rifle Mark I” from around 1890 215grn bullet with coal dust inside Naval Store. The paper on the base is 100% correct.

Rich.

Oh and the difference between the Mark I & II is the case mouth is coned into the bullet as well as been soldered & later ones had neck crimps

The first one is almost certainly a Dummy Drill Mark I. It has been tinned as the remains of the tinning can be seen on both the neck and bullet as well as within the cap chamber. Also, I have never seen an unheadstamped Mark II, only Mark I dummy Drills.

As RichT says, the third one is correct. It is a very nice round to dind with the label still on, they did not make a great number of these.

Regards
TonyE

Many thanks for answers.
Tony, I just found the third round in your book page 90 !!! oups !
The only difference is that on mine, the cap is used. Is it normal ?

Philippe

I cannot remember whether mine has a cap or not, I will have to go and find it.

I have seen too few to say which is usual.

Regards
TonyE

My inspectors dummy has an unstruck cap & I’ve seen one other which also had a cap, but struck or not can’t remember.

Inspectors dummy rounds were “working” cartridges, and therefore one would expect the cap to be struck if it had been used for weapon testing.

The “Cartridge for Instruction” was a different animal, and was usually part of a cased set of various types and calibres for use in the classroom. They are recorded as representing a live cartridge in every way, usually filled with coal dust and including an inert cap. There is nothing to prevent one being put through a rifle though, and many probably were. I would not put too much store on the significance of a struck cap.

Regards
TonyE