303 G 16 Mk vii info please

Hi All, I got this 303 G 16 vii cartridge today and i recall reading a post from 2008 regarding the G stamped tracer. Is this the one talked about?

Thanks,
Jonathan

This is a standard Ball Mk VII cartridge case made by Greenwood and Batley Ltd, Leeds UK in 1916.

I thought they were GB. and so you learn.

Thank you Falcon.

J

Greenwood and Batley was GB after WW.I and also used those letters in the early years of the 303. There’s no doubt a story here. Jack

Jack when i saw it something jumped out at me. I still have this tracer story ringing in my head. G was the code for tracer was it not?

This is not an area I’m at all comfortable with, but yes G indicated tracer and many WW.I tracer rounds were marked VIIG. I suppose (I’m speaking theoretically here) you could have such a round made by Greenwood and Batley and the headstamp might well have read G.16 above VIIG. It’s like those early German 7.9 m/m cartridges that have the letter “S” indicating this and that in the headstamp. Jack

Thanks Jack. Cant wait for those with a bit more knowledge than me to help out.
J

scan0136

Jonathan, this link should help explain the early days of british tracer. It was not simply a case of marking them with a ‘G’…