303 Green tip?

This Canadian 303 is headstamped DAC 1942 V11 and it has a Green tip on its cn. bullet , there is also a collection lable on it stating DRONE ,is this the real thing ? if so what is a Drone ,in all other respects it looks like a standard 303 thanks Randy

I can’t find anything to support this but I believe the green tipped rds were daylight tracer and used to help train Royal Air Force turret gunners. During training they would fire from ground mounted machine guns at the drones being pulled by aircraft.

I think armourer is probably correct, although I believe the firing was done air to air when training with drogues (British term).

Is the tip colour a soft paint or wax that would mark the fabric of the drogue?

regards
TonyE

Hi Tony, it is a Green paint and seems to be the same as any coloured paint used on cartridge tips Randy

[quote=“TonyE”]I think armourer is probably correct, although I believe the firing was done air to air when training with drogues (British term).

Is the tip colour a soft paint or wax that would mark the fabric of the drogue?

regards
TonyE[/quote]

Tony,

I thought that they started them off firing from a fixed ground emplacement. Some more adventurous air bases mounted the guns on the back of a truck to make it more interesting. Finally they were allowed to fly and shoot.

gravelbelly

I’m mystified about this .303 green-tipped cartridge. Is it merely a mk.7 with a colored tip bullet that will mark the target in passing through it, or is it in fact a tracer? I’m assuming the former but not excluding the possibility of the latter. JG

I have the identical round to that described and there is nothing to suggest it is anything except a Mark VII ball.

The paint looks like any other tip paint, but after sixty odd years it is difficult to tell if it was designed to mark a drogue target.

Regards
TonyE

Tony: Thanks for the ID. Curiously, I have a .303 tracer by Dominion Arsenal (1942 I think, but perhaps 1941) and it’s a mk.I rather than a later mark. JG

Dominion arsenal continued to load the G Mark I until at least 1942, and identified the load with a 1/4" black band around the lower part of the case. The wartime ones seem to be all cordite loaded although I have a 1929 NC loaded example. (DA 29 GIZ)

Regards
TonyE