.303 Headstamp "R 7"

I recently acquired this .303 cartridge with nothing but two separate characters “R 7” as the headstamp.

The cartridge had been inerted when I bought it, so I cannot give any details on the propellant.

Everything about the cartridge is classic British made .303. The bullet is marked with an eight pointed star in the lead base. I know that this is a known makers mark, although I cannot recall who used it.

Does anyone here know anything more about this cartridge?

Thanks for any information.
r7_303_1

Looks like a standard R^L Mk.7 headstamp, just missing a lot of bits. Might have been intentional as I don’t see any marks from a broken bunter.

If R^L, with “7” in mark position, then it is 1944-45 production
( before this “VII” was used.)
Also, bullet cannelure is for
Midneck crimp type, but can’t
See midneck stabcrimps!
Since it is a UK #%&@ Deact,
Then obviously the bullet does not match the case! By 1944-45, Mouth coning/ segmental crimp was used, on a higher located bullet cannelure.
Check inside case-web, for reverse stamped case maker ID
Thiscould also be an RG case, with partial headstamp for a trial batch of some kind
( similarly for R^L in-house trials).
Doc AV

I would be more inclined to go for Radway Green RG and 7 for Mk7 here is an RG 7Z but it shows the positioning on the R & the 7 RG%207z I dont have an RG Mk7 at hand but it lines up perfectly for a broken RG 7 bunter.

The 8 point star on the bullet base indicates Canadian manufacture so it looks like they got the bullets mixed up when inerting as well.

Rich

Thanks for the replies.

It lines up with other examples of post-war RG and R/|\L examples I have.

Perhaps it was done for some internal reason such as machinery setup.

I am thinking it is an internal process. Definitely not a damaged bunter. Footscray factory in Australia did a similar thing with various parts of the bunter ground off. I,m thinking they used old bunkers so the dates may not be accurate.