.303 Id

I just received my books from Tony and they are excellent.
Can anybody just confirm what I think about the following:
#1 Brock bullet
#2,3 and 4 Incendiary Mark I; H/S ??? VII (left down)
#5 ???; H/S E.17 VII
#6 ???; H/S ??? VII (right up)
#5 and 6 come from Verdun (WWI)

Philippe

Thank you, I am glad you liked the books.

I agree with your identification as:
No.1 Brock
Nos.2, 3 and 4 Buckingham Mark I, but cannot read the headstamp. It is probably a badly stamped "R^L 15 VII"
No.5 is a propelling blank for a trench mortar, possibly the 6 inch.
No.6 is part of the detonator assembly for the “Toffee Apple” bomb.

The various duties to which cut down or altered .303 inch cases were put to in fuzes, detonators and propulsive charges are not well documented and can be quite difficult to identify.

Here are a few I have with I think the correct identification.

Igniter, No.110 Fuze

6 inch mortar?

Toffee Apple detonator

Tube, Percussion Mark V

Regards
TonyE

There was no British involvement at Verdun, way too far south. Would this be for equipment we supplied to the French? Or US at Argonne I suppose?

Tony, is there a safety concern with those Buckinghams or the Brock?

Just some drawings of Stokes Mortar primers, made from cut down 0,303" cases.

Happy collecting, Peter

[quote=“VinceGreen”]There was no British involvement at Verdun, way too far south. Would this be for equipment we supplied to the French? Or US at Argonne I suppose?

Tony, is there a safety concern with those Buckinghams or the Brock?[/quote]

I don’t think so.

The Brock is only sensitive to striking and does not contain free nitro glycerine.

The Buckingham contains yellow phosphorous sealed within the envelope by a fusible metal plug, and that is within the case mouth.

I have never heard of a problem with either, and certainly mine have been lyiing quite peacefully in the cabinet for many years. On the other hand, I know of at least one case where a German B-Patrone has exploded spontaneously in a cartridge collectors cabinet, and these are normally treated as quite safe.

Regards
TonyE

?.303 from Verdun? French Air-Force used both Hotchkiss in .303 and 8mm Lebel, as well as Lewis Guns in .303.

Other .303 derived “laucher charges” would be for British-design Mortars and Bomb-throwers ( althought the French developed a lot of their own, propelled by an 8mm lebel case charge.

Regards,
Doc AV