.303 identification assistance

I recently came into possession of this round when buying pre-loaded stripper clips for an enfield. The headstamp reads K5 for the factory code and then BVIIZ with a date code of 1943. I know the B code designates incendiary and there is blue paint around the primer but the bullet is neither copper jacketed nor painted blue. Is this still and incendiary round or is it a lead ball round reloaded into a previously incendiary round’s case? Also this round (if not reloaded) is loaded with nitrocellulose propellelant. At the ripe age of 72 years can this bullet still be fired or have the nitrocellulose expired?

No crimps in neck so probably still incend. The Z indicates a nitro cellulose load.

If it has been kept dry the powder should be fine regardless or nitro or cordite, the primer is generally what fails but corrosive primers tend to age well. If you plan to shoot this be aware of the potential for hang fires or misfires and be able to safely dispose of any bad rounds.
Ken

I don’t think the B MkVII Incendiary was ever loaded with a cupro-nickel jacket as shown in your photo. I believe they all had a copper coloured gilding metal jacket so I’m thinking this incendiary case has been reloaded with a cupro-nickel Mk VII Ball bullet. Perhaps the tiny cut mark just above the casemouth could have been caused by the collet of a bullet puller?

I have to agree with Jim, I have 6 BVIIZ rounds and all have GM bullets. They are from various manufacturers and yr dates, All the reference material I have including drawings state GM bullet envelopes. It is well documented about surplus cases being used for standard ball rounds but again as jim has said it looks very much like bullet removal by collet puller so most likley a reload not a manufacturer load due to no crimps, most of the time when surplus cases would be used the crimp would be added to ball rounds.

Just as a side note what is the total weight of this round in grains please.

Rich