.303 manufacturer ID

Hello, found a few more .303 shells with a new headstamp “A ^ F VII 2 25” was just wondering who the manufacturer was.

Headstamp is very feint and light, so sorry for the bad picture

Cheers Hamish

Footscray, Australia, Nice, I don’t see these “between the wars” headstamps here. You may soak it in vinegar for about 5 min, it will clear all that junk and the headstamp will be “less faint”.

I generally do a mix of salt and vinegar to clean them up but started cleaning up less, had a nice character to them especially when you dig them from the ground.

Funny you mention the inbetween war year, I absolutely love finding the ones from WWI and WWII, not as exited for the other odd years. I also got many others like 1920, May 1921, june 1921, June 1927. (

Must’ve been a hot spot for shooting early-mid 1920s

1 Like

Interesting variety of headstamps. All were manufactured at the same factory, originally the Colonial Ammunition Company, which became the Small Arms Ammunition Factory, Footscray. Victoria.

2 25 was last month of production with A↑F headstamp.

One you have from 1920 should have ←CAC→ monogram

May, June 21 should be ←SAAF→

June 27 should be MF

edit to correct headstamp

1 Like

Wow, spot on. Someone knows their .303 : )

I have another old sniping range I’ve been detecting at, pulled a small handful of “CAC 11 16 VI” which are by far my favourite due to the WWI date and the age.
Also tonnes ranging between 1941-1946 all small arms ammunition, a mixture between all their factory locations

Hello, this is my first comment. I apologize if I am in the wrong forum. A month ago I was on vacation in Jordan, specifically in the Wadi Rum desert. Coincidentally I found, in a remote area of the desert, next to the mountain called the 7 Pillars of Wisdom, in honor of Lawrence of Arabia, what seemed to me like an old rifle cartridge that had already been fired.

Investigating the characters of the scabbard a little (CAC 6 10 14), I understand that it is the remains of a projectile manufactured by the Colonial Ammunition Company and fired during the war between Britain and the Arab League against the Germans and the Turks. Could someone give me more information?

Thank you.

Welcome aboard Jose,

The case you have is a Mk VI ball cartridge made by the Colonial Ammunition Factory in Footscray, Victoria in October 1914. There was also a CAC in New Zealand at that time but they did not include the month on their cases.

I only have one cartridge by CAC from 1914, which is not in very good condition and the previous owner had polished it. The cartridge you have would have looked the same:

Darren,
Nitpicking I know, but manufacture was in October.
Cheers
John

John - you are correct. I looked at the 6 not the 10… I’ve corrected that now.

No worries, wish I never misread a headstamp :)

Thank you very much for your quick comment. I am going to try to clean it with some metal solution not very strong and I will send a photo, also of the exact place where I found it.

The soldier who shot it had the unfortunate idea of folding the scabbard before throwing it into the arena. I will also try to heat it very carefully to return it to its original volume, although I am not convinced that it will be fully achieved

Best regards.

Personally, I would leave it as it is. It is a piece of history.

photomarine / Jose
Please forgive me for two small corrections but it appears speaking “ammunition” is not a 1st language for you.
The scabbard is called the case, The projectile is the bullet and it fits into the mouth of the case and when fired goes down the barrel to the target. The case remains in the firearm until it is ejected from the gun’s chamber. The bullet / projectile may be hundreds of meters away from the case.

I have to say you did very good with your choice of terms & I hope you will continue to post your interesting finds here.

PS in another life I was a professional photographer, but before that served in the U.S.A.F. as a Navigational Aids Radar Repairman on B-52’s & KC-135’s. Keep safe & Thanks for your service.

Where do you see the 10? I only see 6 and 14.

It is an excellent idea. It is indeed a very small thing, but it is a piece of history. I wonder if that shot made by a soldier hit the target or failed. Perhaps more than 100 years ago, someone was injured by that bullet. Regards.

A little confusion here. The headstamp shown by Mayhem is only an example and is actually CAC 9 14 VI. That is September 1914.
Photomarine was discussing a different cartridge case.

Photomarine has translated (correctly) the VI as 6. That is a Mark 6 Ball cartridge case…

Hello, PetedeCoux, I am sorry for my misspellings. Although I speak English quite well, my grammar is a bit loose. I am used to handling weapons because of my job, but when translating some terms into English, I had several options and apparently I did not choose the best ones. Greetings and thanks for the tips.

1 Like

No problem at all, & I thought that might be the case. Thanks for your understanding of my comment.
We are glad to see your posts & we can all learn something from them.

The case you show is a MK “VI”, which does not actually have to do with the case type but rather notes the style of bullet it was originally loaded with. The most common .303 inch. seen is the Mk VII which is a pointed bullet. Each MK had something different either inside design or in outside shape. MK’s up to VII were round nose or hollow pointed round nose in profile.
The “10 14” is the month & year the case was made / loaded. And the primer was a Berdan type.
For what it is worth it is a military issued case.

It is a pleasure to check the extensive knowledge on ammunition and weapons that participants in this forum have. It has been a success on my part to expose my doubts here. Thanks, again.

1 Like