.303 MkVII Ball sections

As we’re not getting out lately, I’ve been making some sections of .303 MkVII Ball rounds, seven in total. Each one is of a different manufacturer and year, each having some slight differences in how they’re made, and the different materials used. I thought I would post as it might be helpful for others.

From left to right (I’ve actually listed them in the second photo as well);

WRA - Winchester Repeating Arms Co, New Haven, Connecticut, USA, dated 1941. The bullet has a copper jacket, the cartridge has an Boxer primer, and a Nitrocellulose powder charge.

U (diamond) - South African Mint, Pretoria, South Africa, dated 1943. Bullet: Copper jacket with Aluminium in the tip. Cartridge: Berdan primer with Cordite charge.

DA - Dominion Arsenal, Montreal, Canada, dated 1944. Bullet: Mild steel jacket that is copper plated with Aluminium in the tip. Cartridge: Berdan primer with Cordite charge.

GB - Greenwood & Batley, Leeds, dated 1944. Bullet: Mild steel jacket that is copper plated with compressed sawdust in the tip. Cartridge: Berdan primer with Cordite charge.

RG - ROF Radway Green, Crewe, Cheshire, dated 1944. Bullet: Mild steel jacket that is copper plated with compressed sawdust in the tip. Cartridge: Berdan primer with Cordite charge.

RG - ROF Radway Green, Crewe, Cheshire, dated 1945. There is a slight difference on the outside between Radway Green 1944 and 1945, I only cut the '45 one to see if there was any internal difference, alas there isn’t! Bullet: Mild steel jacket that is copper plated with compressed sawdust in the tip. Cartridge: Berdan primer with Cordite charge.

K - Kynoch Co., Birmingham, dated 1962. Bullet: Copper jacket with Aluminium in the tip. Cartridge: Berdan primer with Cordite charge.

I also made some cutaways of the current issue L43A1 7.62mm and L18A1 5.56mm blanks just for the sheer hell of it. It looks like I haven’t put enough powder in them, but after meticulous measuring, that is the correct powder level (which certainly surprised me!).

Best regards,

Simon

4 Likes