.303 please help with head stamp

Could anybody help with this head stamp and more deatails about this cartridge?

Thank you.

Just for clarification in case others had it appear dark on their screens, the headstamp has impressed “V” @ 6 o’clock.

Yuri - the numbers at top are zero six? It would make sense as a date code if this is in fact a Mark V ball variant.

sorry forgot add. Headstamp is Н26 V.

This is an unknown , but believed to be from Latvia. I have it in both ball and AP loadings.

Some of it has turned up recently in the UK in a big batch of .303 that came in from the Baltic states.

Regards
TonyE

Opinion from Woodin lab: possibly Hirtenberger factory at Dordrecht Holland.

A very similar .303 with H-17 at twelve and VII at six is reported on the french book “culots de munitions” as produced by Hastings on Hudson- National Brass and Copper tube Co - New York.

Hi
Case is from Hirtenberger(Austria)
Factory at Dordrecht (The Netherlands)
V stands for (Vickers) or (projectiel mark V)
regards
Harrie

Thanks to all!

This is a British WWI contract round. I have it with a 1916 date, but have not seen a 1917 date.

The unknown round in question is a different anumal.

regards
TonyE

[quote=“gyrojet”]Hi
Case is from Hirtenberger(Austria)
Factory at Dordrecht (The Netherlands)
V stands for (Vickers) or (projectiel mark V)
regards
Harrie[/quote]

Who was this made for? Both Holland and the Baltic states had Vickers armed aircraft at this time so it could be for either.

Have you any evidence that the “V” stands for Vickers? I doubt if it means Mark V (British Mark V) as that was a hollow nose ball bullet.

Any information gratefully received.

Regards
TonyE

There is not much evidence even in the Netherlands is not much info to find.
But the Dutch had the Vickers .303/7,7mm and from 1935 the Dutch army have turn over there Vickers in to 7,9mm guns.
In 1936 there were still a lot of Vickers .303/7,7mm in Dutch service
The factory Dordrecht made the ammunition for the Navy and the Dutch-Indies
regards
Harrie

Analysing the Source of this cartridge(Baltic States) puts it squarely in the Latvian-Estonian manufacture area.
Known Factories in the Area include S&B, Riga (head stamp sectored, letters SB and R, and split year; Other headstamps include “V” either stamped or in script.
Primers are the British .250 size, and the cases may have been made by Kynoch for filling in the Baltic States.
The Powder is typically the Germanic “Blattchen (Flake)Pulver”.

As to Holland, the Dordrecht factory of Hirtenberger used the headstamp “Do” and NOT “H”. I have samples of both 6,5x53 and .303 made there with the Do headstamp.

Given the large variety of .303 that came out of the Baltic States recently, this is the most likely explanation…Kynoch also sold direct export ammo with “K” headstamps as well into the region.

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

I agree Doc. I had it down as probably Latvian as I posted earlier.

Apart from anything else, the first time this has appeared is in the recent Baltic lots. If it was Dutch I cannot help feeling I would have seen some in the last forty years.

When I last talked to Bill Woodin he was also disposed towards Latvia.

Regards
TonyE