.303 "PROOF" dummy?

What do you guys think of this?

DAC 1916 PROOF

Nice headstamp, but .303 dummies are often made from reclaimed or defective cases.

I agree with Ron. It is a very nice headstamp - never saw it before, even when collecting .303. However, dummy rounds in this caliber, and many others by many other countries, are made from fired cases, left over cases and reject cases, so often the headstamps on dummy (or drill) cartridges are totally irrelevent to the fact that a round is a dummy, or to the model of dummy or drill round it is.

Perhaps one of our British friends can confirm whether or not in this instance it is such a case.

Not all rounds for the proving of firearms are high-pressure proof loads, but that term usually refers to loaded cartridges.

[quote=“JohnMoss”]I agree with Ron. It is a very nice headstamp - never saw it before, even when collecting .303. However, dummy rounds in this caliber, and many others by many other countries, are made from fired cases, left over cases and reject cases, so often the headstamps on dummy (or drill) cartridges are totally irrelevent to the fact that a round is a dummy, or to the model of dummy or drill round it is.

Perhaps one of our British friends can confirm whether or not in this instance it is such a case.

Not all rounds for the proving of firearms are high-pressure proof loads, but that term usually refers to loaded cartridges.[/quote]

This is a common design of Canadian (not British) drill/dummy but an uncommon specimen with that headstamp. These drill rounds were made with a wood spacer beneath the bullet and four small holes in the case. Later they were modified by adding the three flutes and the red paint. All that I have in my collection have ball headstamps.

gravelbelly

I don’t collect headstamps, 303 British, or 303 British Headstamps but I’d say that cartridge should be a welcomed addition to anyone’s collection. Considering how many “Proof” cases were manufactured; how many of that number were defective or rejects; how many of that even smaller number were made into dummies; and finally, how many of those have survived the last 92 years given the rough treatment that dummies usually receive, it has to be somewhere in the middle to top of the Rarity Chart.

JMHO

Ray

A very nice headstamp, a shame it has been made into a drill round.

I have a Canadian Inspectors U Mark V made with a proof Q.IV headstamp and a British Drill Mark III with an R^L Proof headstamp, so although unusual not particularly rare.

Regards
TonyE