303 Rounds I can't ID

Here are (4) 303 rounds that I cannot positively ID.

Top - Typical G Mk 6 for reference to see long projo on next round, h/s “K5 45 G6”.
2nd - Super long cn projectile, h/s “K * C”.
3rd - Funny looking cn stepped projo, h/s “19 DAC 17 VII”.
4th - Pointed greenwood projo, h/s “U 303”. Is this military? When made, and by who (I know U is SA, but did they load do it)?
5th - Pointed plain projo, h/s K.43 G2". Same question as above.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave, the second one is a Kynoch loading designated “.303 Swift”. The bullet weighs 225 gr. and it was loaded with Axite.

Hi Fede.

What was the 303 Swift’s purpose. Sporting? Match?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave, it is a match loading. Boxes by Kynoch Ltd are labeled: “.303 ‘Swift’ Axite Match Cartridges Loaded with the Swift bullet”. It is listed in the 1911 price list.

The K5/ 45/ G6 is a Air service day tracer out to 550yds. Its the one to the extreme right. That’s a hard black plastic that’s in the tracer cup. wolfgang

Sorry, I always do that:
left to right:
BPD/952 white tip, empty Dummy rounds (some have been seen flutted, thanks for the info Falcon, SMLE, and EOD)
SR/43/BV11, incendiary, blue tip
SR/43/Bv11z incendiary, blue tip
1941/D1/z, tracer red tip
BE/43/G11, flame tracer, 1000yds
1942/DC/GIVz, Air Service day tracer, red trace, 550yds, white tip
K/1941/GV, night tracer dark ignition, 500 yds, grat tip
K5/45/G6, day trace Air Service, 550yds, small white tip.

Now that you have posted those interesting cutaways you have to tell us what they are !

What is the round on the left for example ?

Glenn

Dave the last 2 are just wooden bulleted blanks but most interesting is the last one has been made from a mkII tracer case complete with the primer colour.

I will have a look through my books for the stepped bulleted round I would have said an incendiary but not sure. Its standard MkVII fired case from Dominion Arsenal, Quebec Canada so someone could have stuck that bullet in it .

Rich

Dave, on the 3rd - Funny looking cn stepped projo, h/s “19 DAC 17 VII”. Because of the VII, I would say target round like they produced in 1939 for the Dominion Rifle Association, but the bullet is different. Bullet shaped like a semi wad cutter.

On the 4th - Pointed greenwood projo, h/s “U 303”. U also can stand for Dummy round.

5th - Pointed plain projo, h/s K.43 G2". Is that a wooden bullet? It is headstamped as a G Mk 2 tracer.

Definitely not a .303 expert but just trying to help.

Joe

Gents,

Thank you for the comments.

The 5th round is a plain wooden projectile.

I suspect the one with the green wood bullet was loaded that was at the plant in South Africa. I am don’t know for who, or why.

Neither of the wood bullet rounds fit any standard military style that I can see.

I am wondering if the two wooden ones are military, or some sort of commercial or export product.

My thoughts are the stepped projo was most likely stuck in the case too. I just thought I would ask if anyone recognizes it.

Thank you again,
Dave

3 looks like a MkIV smoke tracer bt.

The “U” on the 4th round is definitely for South Africa manufacturer most likely to be Pretoria as Kimberly only manufactured in 1941 with the “U” there after the “U” had a diamond at the side from 1942 until 1945. This is most likely a MkVII blank and the wooden bullet would have probably started out Blue colour, I have examples with both round nosed and spitzer shaped bullets.

When the “U” is used in a headstamp it is the Canadian pattern Dummy so would have DAC headstamp most probably.

Same goes for No.5 this too is also most probably a MkVII wooden bulleted blank just utilising a spare tracer case.

Check this page out for the Military wooden blanks -

sites.google.com/site/britmilam … i-to-l10a1

cheers
Richard

Dave - I don’t know what that stepped bullet is, but it is not the stepped bullet that is a British Incendiary. The shoulder is too high on the bullet and the tip is far more reduced in diameter than the British round. When I was collecting .303 years ago (a pretty good collection, too!) I never saw anything like that.

Regarding the yellow wood blank, the “flavor” of it seems scandinavian to me, likely Danish. I loaded a lot of British .303 and 8 mm Mauser into blanks and dummies. I could be totally wrong as again, it could be from anywhere. I don’t recall any original British blanks with that bullet, however.

Dave, would you be willing to pull the steeped projectile and photograph it. I now have paid more attention and realized it is in a fired casing as the primer is struck and flattened from firring.

Joe

Dave, your No 3 looks quite similar to one of Remington’s Arrow Points.
They made those for putting a metal tip to a wood-shaft. Not sure of the time, perhaps [ a very WAG] the 1930’s ???
At any rate they were hollow & about .3 caliber. The point appears a little longer on my top example (from the shoulder up), Perhaps yours was somewhat compacted when it was seated?
There are the only two styles of points I’m aware of & both are non-magnetic

Rich,

Great link! I did not know that Tony was doing that site. I’ll be adding that to my favorites for sure.

I’ve been wondering why it does not have a standard militar headstamp. Did they do any commercial production with headstamps like the one shown?

Joe,

It is probably a good idea to pull that and inspect it. I’ll do that when i get a few minutes and report back.

Pete,

Interesting photo. Thank you very much! Mine is not magnetic either.

I appreciate all of your thoughtful comments!

Dave

I am not sure about the Headstamp being commercial or military, I am sure Tony Edwards would be able to enlighten us on that one but these wooden bullets are a standard British Military bullet used in the MkVII blanks for the machine guns with the special barrels and it clearly states on Tony’s website that the bullets were supposed to be yellow but most are blue or green. I will have a search through the old posts on BOCN because I am sure these South African wooden blanks were discussed

cheers
Richard.

Neirther of those wood bulleted blanks are Blank L Mark VII, which had a bullet filled with copper oxide dust.

The South African one may be a commercial item as it is undated. I have a Pretoria made plain wood bulleted blank headstamped “U 45 VII” that I presume is a Local Pattern military blank.

The plain wood buleted blank on the tracer case is probably commercial also. It is possible though that it is a military reload by another country. The Danes for example reloaded a lot of British military .303 inch as blamk and dummy rounds.

Attached is a picture of two L Mark VII blanks, the round nosed and the spitzer type.

Regards
TonyE

Dave, the headstamp U .303 made by the S.A. Mint, Pretoria is found in sporting cartridges loaded with cordite and 174 gr FMJ or pointed soft nose bullets. Boxes are not dated but their label style is the one that was used between late 1940’s to early 1960’s. These cases were also used to load blue wooden military blanks between 1953-64.

Thank you for the cartridge identification Wolfganggross .
Very interesting sectioned cartridges and beautiful work as usual.

Glenn

Fede and Tony,

Thank you both very much.
Dave