.303 Tracer bullet

Today I acquired a .303 Tracer bullet. It is pretty badly damaged - looks like someone pulled it with pliers. It appears to have a copper plating (quite badly worn, could be simple corrosion) that ends about 6mm from the base of the bullet. It also has what looks like the remnants of a grey tip. What mark of tracer was this?

G Mark V, Naval air night tracer, 50 yards DI, 550 yards trace at 10,000 feet.
Approved June 1942.

Regards
TonyE

Cheers Tony. Is it supposed to be stained copper coloured or is that just corrosion? PS sorry for my terrible typing in the first post, the typos have now been corrected!

Gilding metal clad steel (GMCS) was approved for the envelope of the GV, as it was for all the WW2 tracers, so it is probably the copper coating on the steel envelope that has come off due to corrosion.

Regards
TonyE

This is definitely not GMCS. This does not take a magnet at all, neither does the bullet on my inert .303 Tracer GII (Hstp “K1941 GII”).

The comment about the GMCS was just a guess based on your description of copper “plating”. Without a picture it is difficult to be more precise.

GMCS was approved as an alternative envelope material for many .303 rounds, as was CNCS although GM and CN were still used to a considerable extent.

Regards
Tony

It is a very thin coating on the surface, and most has polished off. I am going to clean up this badly marked and scored bullet tomorrow. It is amazing what one can do to a really messy bullet in a lathe with a bit of P400 glasspaper then a rag with some brasso on it.