.308 Blank or?

Can you help me identifing this one: blank or grenade launching ?

thanks
Domi

It is not a military load, so I say “blank”.

Vlad, how did you figure it is not military?

1 Like

Possibly because of the commercial headstamp?..saying that our military ‘buy in’ commercial blanks for at least two calibres that I know of

1 Like

Just guessing, even though it could be a military salute blank. Scandinavian ammo is full of surprises.

Found in a military shooting range.

1 Like

Is there a mouth seal on the rose crimp? Military ammo usually has pa seal, which I don’t see in your round. Here is an example of Swedish military grenade blank https://www.amkat.se/index.php?Env=Ammo&Menu_A=30&Menu_B=70&Menu_C=60&Menu_Value_A=7,62x51&Menu_Value_B=Grenade&Menu_Name=Grenade

No, there is no mouth seal on the rose crimp, and it is not completely close.

1 Like

Norma has also made .223 blanks headstamped “norma .223”. They don’t have any sealing lacquer either. I was told at some point what they were for but I’ve forgotten it by now…
I believe I have a box of them somewhere.

Ole

1 Like

Ole, what’s the use for these blanks? Maybe your box holds the answer. I just saw NATODave at a gun show. I wish I could ask him.

I wouldn’t think that .308 (7.62 NATO; 7.62 x 51) blanks made for the military market by a European factory would have the designation “.308” on the headstamp. Just an observation.

John Moss

1 Like

hello
maybe ,a special order for a “little” movie needed real blank firing (not CGI)

1 Like

Without knowing who ordered it it is impossible to determine this one by 100%.

As was said above, there is plenty of commercial headstamps in military use.

1 Like

Vlad, I don’t recall, but I’ll look for the box. It’s either in my collection or a friend’s, so if it’s not in mine I will check with him on the weekend.

For what it’s worth:
Sweden, not being a NATO member, has no obligation to mark their internally/domestically used ammo as NATO spec. One good example of this is their long-standing use of white color to indicate tracer on Swedish ammunition.

Ole

1 Like

I have never seen a military blank with a Norma commercial headstamp. My guess is that it is an after market blank, possibly made by Stockholm’s Vapenfabrik.
morten

1 Like

Morten - especially with an inch measurement caliber marking. Not even the US Military calls that cartridge the .308. Of course, that is its civilian designation in many countries all over the world.

I think your idea of after market manufacture on Norma cases may have some merit. Hope Tennsats can get us a picture of the box.

John M.

Morten, I did! It was .303 blank and dummy (drill) for the German Bundeswehr.

Let’s remember this topic till we all meet at SLICS (maybe even Alex).

Vlad, I will keep on discussing it from behid my desk here.

1 Like

Alex, yes I know. But this is about 7,61x51/.308. I’m sorry for not being specific on that.
This is a possible box for it from Stockholm’s Vapenfabrik (www.stockholmsvapenfabrik.se). image|215x230