308 COR-BON, not the 308 Winchester or (7.62x51 NATO)

308 COR-BON, not the 308 Winchester, or (7.62x51 NATO) This proprietary cartridge may or may not of been produced for sale to the general public? It was announced at the 1999 (SHOT SHOW) but never took off for some reason. Basically it is a short, large diameter magnum cartridge like the short Lazzeroni, and later Winchester’s Super Short and Short Magnums and then Remington’s
Short magnums and now Hornady’s RCMs (Ruger Short Magnums).
I don’t know if they were ever put out on the market and if so what the head stamp reads?
Interested in any more information on the caliber. COR-BON isn’t talking ?
Also looking for one cartridge or a full box for my collection,
Thank You,
Dave Call
A Call to Arms, LLC @ www.ammo-one.com
Our 8th year in business

Dave - can’t help you on the .308 Cor-bon - never heard of it. But, it doesn’t surprise me that “Cor-Bon isn’t talking.”

In the October 200 Issue of Guns Magazine, there was a Cor-Bon advertisement on page 26 that shows the 3208 CorBon cartridge. It also shows a cartridges caled the following:

.45-70 Govt. Penetrator
Single shot Hunter Line
.45 Colt Magnum +P
400 CorBon
300 Whisper Subsonic
440 CorBon Magnum
454 Casull Flat Point Penetrator
.32 ACP 60 Gr. JHP
BeeSafe fragmented ammunition
330 CorBon Auto

Some of these rounds are well known now, and others I have never seen, myself.

I talked to them about the .330 CorBon, of great interest to me personally, and to the IAA for general knowledge (along with any other new caliber), at a SHOT Show and no one seemed to even know what their own cartridge was or simply were playing “dumb” even though the store I worked for was a big CorBon customer. The head of CorBon knew one of my bosses through his own interest in custom knives, a product our store was well known for (up until his death, my original boss, Nathan Posner, was the only non-knife maker, as far as I know, admitted to the Knifemaker’s Guild as a “patron of the art.”). Even the Store I was representing at the SHOT show, since ours was then gone, was a CorBon customer. I still got the brush off as far as info on the .330 went. I later, in February 1005, wrote a letter to the VP of CorBon asking for information on the round, and never even got the courtesy of a reply.

I hope you can find the information you are looking for. If you do, you will have done better than I did. To this day, no one seems to know that there was ever a .330 CorBon auto pistol round even suggested, even though this one ad mentioned it, the only written mention I ever saw of the round, and showed a picture of it (also of the 308 CorBon, and invited inquiries about the line, as well as referencing their website, where I could never find anything on some of the cartridges from the ad).

I’m afraid that I don’t have any more details on the .308 CorBon beyond what appeared in Gun Digest and the latest Cartridges of the World.

However, I believe gunwriter Terry Murbach was responsible for the .330 CorBon back when he was working for them. As he explained it, it was the biggest thing they could shoehorn into existing .32 ACP pistols and magazines. As I understand it, it was something like a .32 ACP case with the body widened to accept a ~.32" diameter bullet (not .308 or .312). The wider body diameter probably would have eliminated some of the problems that certain pocket pistols were having with the semi-rims of .32 ACP cases interlocking in the magazine. However, they couldn’t get any pistol manufacturers to join the bandwagon.

Daniel -do you know if any real specimens of the cartirdge were made?

Dave:

I have an undated Cor-Bon catalog (about 2001 I think) with a 1 page listing of the new “308 Cor-Bon Magnum”. Drawings indicate a 2.085" case length and fatter 0.542" rim & 0.545" base diameter.

The is a picture of a 20 round plastic box and 3 cartridges/cases in front of it, but not a closeup so no detail. So some cartridges were made…

There is a headstamp drawing showing as: “CB 308 Cor-Bon Mag” with the CB at 12:00 and the rest in a line below.

I also have an earlier but undated single page brochure calling the exact same cartridge the “308 Cor-Bon SuperMag”.

No real help - but it existed at one time.

I don’t know. According to Terry, they included it in their ads just to see if anyone was paying attention.

[quote=“Dwight Jackson”]Dave:

I have an undated Cor-Bon catalog (about 2001 I think) with a 1 page listing of the new “308 Cor-Bon Magnum”. Drawings indicate a 2.085" case length and fatter 0.542" rim & 0.545" base diameter.

The is a picture of a 20 round plastic box and 3 cartridges/cases in front of it, but not a closeup so no detail. So some cartridges were made…

There is a headstamp drawing showing as: “CB 308 Cor-Bon Mag” with the CB at 12:00 and the rest in a line below.

I also have an earlier but undated single page brochure calling the exact same cartridge the “308 Cor-Bon SuperMag”.

No real help - but it existed at one time.[/quote]

Dwight,
If possible I would like a copy of the catalog page, if you have a scanner? you can e-mail it to me at collectordave@ammo-one.com or
hurdcall@yahoo.com , Thank you for the information.
Best.
Dave Call
A Call to Arms,LLC at : www.ammo-one.com