308 Winchester Match ID

I’ve had this carton for several years. I think I know where it came from but I am not positive. Can one of you guys who knows how to read all the codes, tell me what is says. By that I mean the 4th and 5th lines.

Thanks

Ray

Ray, the 5th line indicates that this was a contract for the Naval Surface Warfare Center Crane Division in Indiana.

Ray,

Line #4 may be the National Stock Number or NSN. The first designator “1305” corresponds to the Federal Supply Catalog Group 13 Class; for ammunition through 30mm.
“LLO” is in the location where a number series should be that identifies the country of origin and the country that maintains the item.
The last number “00286” is supposed to be the national item identification number.

Source: Appendix D, FM 9-13, Ammunition Handbook, 1986.

Brian

Thanks Fede and Brian. Exactly what I was looking for.

Ray

Ray,
I would like to add some thoughts to line four: As stated, 1305 is the federal stock class for small arms. If it were a “true” NSN, the next TWO digits would be the national origin identifier. but it would not be the three digits shown and would not show any “alpha” characters. I’m not at all certain, but I believe this is a code for a “locally assigned stock number” and the LLO would be a code identifying that fact, or the procurement office or something. Then the exact item is identified by the next block of numbers, and it would indicate the 286th item catalogued locally by that procurement office. A local number, while not used as often in the ammunition and ordnance arena, as these items are usually too closely controlled to allow much local option, it has been done for lots of ammunition that have NOT been incorporated into the DoD’s ammunition management system. This would particularly apply to a Navy procured item that the Army’s Single Manager for Conventional Ammunition hasn’t picked up yet. Just my thoughts.

Taber10

Thanks for that additional information.

I have another question that maybe one of you guys can answer.

I have several different cartons of ammunition made on contract exclusively for use by different military and law enforcement units outside the normal supply sources. Most of the labels contain the additional information of stock numbers, etc, as seen on the 308 Winchester Match carton manufactured for Crane. Why are these cartons so marked? The end user of the ammunition probably has no idea what the codes mean, nor would they care. So, who would they be directed at? I understand the need for lot numbers on the front of the cartons, and for manufacturing codes stamped on the end flaps, but why all the technical data on the label?

Ray

Ray,
I would say it all has to do with the accounting process and disposition of items purchased by the Government. I work at small Federal research facility and I have a Federal purchasing credit card.
Here is a greatly simplified description of the “bean counting” and fraud prevention process that I experience at work: Each purchase I make whether it is from a commercial source or from a Government supply sources generates a pile of paperwork and computer tracking files, started by me. This includes a full detailed listing of the item purchased, cost and associated identifying codes (if it is a Government supplied item then there is a Government generated national stock code and possibly other Government identifying codes). I also enter information on each purchase into 2 separate online accounting/tracking sites which generates more codes to identify the purchase and further classifies the item purchased. This in turn is reviewed and tracked by accounting people at my location and is reviewed and signed off on by supervisor. My purchase is then reviewed and tracked by more people at our regional administrative office and then it is reviewed and tracked by someone in Beltsville, MD. This entire process of purchase review/tracking/accounting is totally dependent on assigned classification and identification codes and numbers.

The same applies to stocking and distributing items at Government (in house) supply sources. For example if a military unit requested a supply of .308 match ammunition, without the stock code/identification code, that request would probably be returned/denied immediately because most people in the ammunition supply chain would not have a clue as to what was requested nor would they a have a way to track it to a supply source in order to procure said item.

Brian