.30m1 lc43

Could somebody please explain why the .30M1 cartridges (L C 43) were repacked one year later.

Regards Dutch

Dutch,

The original “outer” packaging was not keeping the ammunition protected from the environmental conditions encountered in the Pacific during WWII and the people at Evansville developed the sealed “spam can” to solve the storage problem. Evansville was given the job of removing ammunition packed in the “old” outer pack and repacking the ammunition in the sealed cans. The repacked cartons were stamped with the red overstamp. The story is explained in the book Bullets By The Billion, see excerpts below:

E 1a

Example of a “spam can” containing repacked .30 Carbine ammunition:

Brian

Here’s another one, was dropped for the resistance in Denmark.
Interesting topic, I didn’t know why as well.

Regards
the dane66

Another one, dropped for the Dutch resistance

Grtz
Jac

Hi Jaco,

When Evansville repacked .45 Auto cartridges they replaced the original boxes with new ones printed with the repacking date, but with most .30 Carbine cartridges they keeped the original boxes and stamped the repacking date later. Yours is one of the few lots repacked in replacement boxes where both the original lot number and repacking date was stamped. I have only observed this in Winchester lots repacked in May and June of 1944, but I assume there must be other examples.

Regards,

Fede

Gentleman, thank you very much for the explanation.

Best regards

Thanks Fede!
Grtz, Jaco

I just found 3 other type of repacked ammunition that I like to show you.

Regards.

Dane66,

Thanks for the additional box photos.

Brian

Headstamp is R A 44.

To add to the thread here are two more boxes (now empty).