30mm from A-10

The seller said that it came from a range where A-10 hit a patch of sand. The hole on top does spill a sand like material when inverted. Is the imagery consistent with A-10 hitting sand?

hello
this projectile look more from a 30x100 wecom cannon and not the 30x173 from the gau8

Certainly does look like a 30x100mm WECOM TP projectile: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4017

IAA Journal #496, p. 60 & #497, p. 54

And as a side note; the projectile is not fired so nothing hit nothing at all.

Perhaps the seller was trying to say it is from an aircraft crash site, not a target range?

He said A-10 strafed a sand covered part of a range but I thought the story was made up, just for sale sake.

Vlad,

Interesting projectile even if its story is not the one you got when you acquired it!

No story came with this relic, but I believe this is a TP 30x173 that spent some time outside perhaps after having been fired from an A-10 Thunderbolt. The drive bands are eroded to below the surface of the steel so no rifling marks visible but there is a neat swirl patten on the nose.

Dave

[quote=“DaveE”]Vlad,

Interesting projectile even if its story is not the one you got when you acquired it!

No story came with this relic, but I believe this is a TP 30x173 that spent some time outside perhaps after having been fired from an A-10 Thunderbolt. The drive bands are eroded to below the surface of the steel so no rifling marks visible but there is a neat swirl patten on the nose.

Dave[/quote]

Dave,

The swirl marks are neat and the erosion of the plastic bands probably happened as the projectile travelled through the ground after impact. The swirl marks are also commonly seen on small arms bullets recovered from the sand butts of rifle ranges. The sand “swirl” is always at a steeper twist to the rifling twist because the velocity falls off faster then the spin rate during the time of flight.

gravelbelly

There is a seller on ebay now listing these rounds and pieces of one of the 30MM barrels that he claims to have been recovered from a A10 crash site.

Yes, and money makes the world go round…