30mm Oerlikon - APFSDS-T

30mm Oerlikon - APFSDS-T

hello
beautifull shell
the sabot had the same shape as apds shell ?

Very nice - but the 30mm Oerlikon designation is a bit misleading. As far as I know, the 30x170 Oerlikon round has only ever been used in AA guns, for which APFSDS is not appropriate.

This seems to be for the Rarden AFV gun, which uses a brass version of the Oerlikon case. This was developed by Rheinmetall (of which Oerlikon is a part) for the British competition for an APFSDS Rarden round, and is being offered by Rheinmetall to Rarden users, either complete or in components. It won the British competition (beating Nammo) but AFAIK no orders have been placed.

The complete L21A1 round is shown below - so all you need is a Rarden case to put it in and you have a rare item - I’d love one!

hello
i see this projectile loaded on 30x173 case for AFV with MK44 or similar caliber cannon

[quote=“ammogun”]hello
i see this projectile loaded on 30x173 case for AFV with MK44 or similar caliber cannon[/quote]

Yes, it’s basically the same, with some slight modifications to suit the different rifling I believe.

oup
i see that the driving band is different betwen the two projectiles
the first projectile on the post is more for the rarden than the 30x173

Not quite on topic but I thought I would post this older 30mm APDS. Headstamp 01 A 68 D. I know nothing about it and would welcome your thoughts.

Nice projectile, Gyro :-)

Buster, yours is super sweet also. Both look rare.

Jason