.310 Cadet FMJ bullet used in WWII?

I was reading a short post that the .310 Cadet ( .310 Greener ) cartridge was loaded with a Full Metal Jacket to help defend against the Japanese in Australia during WWII.
While a photo of the ammo is on line I’m not able to find any info on the cartridge itself as to bullet weight,shape, MV or loading other than a blurry photo of “Z” on the crate of this ammo.
One old soldier posted that in his opinion this cartridge fired out of the Martini Cadet rifle was as accurate as the .303 Ball ammo out to 300 yards.
Being a fan of these little rifles since I got my first one in 1964, I’d love to know more about this round and its ballistics.
Thank you your info on this topic.

Some information here:

The two drawings from the above thread:

.310 box

Brian

1 Like

below a picture:

Thank you very much for the information.+
It is interesting that the FMJ bullet is .318 and the cast/swagged bullet is .323.
I have found the best accuracy is in fact a .323 bullet.

There were three versions of the jacketed .310 round. The first was round nosed cupro nickel jacket based on the original lead loading. Second was the pointed Gm jacket with the large primer as shown in the drawing. The third and final was Gm jacket but with the small primer.

1 Like

I handload 310 Cadet for a BSA rifle stamped 8th month 1911 NSW [New South Wales] on the stock and slugged the bore and found it to be .315 and is extremely accurate for a rifle over 100 years old as part of and order for training rifles for the Australian government that in turn issued them to each state that in turn stamped their own serial number on them in addition to the serial number put there by BSA and the stocks are marked for each state ! I use Bertram cases plus a few old Super boxer primed cases and 9 grains of AR2205 in this rifle I restored ! It has an excellent bore possibly only ever fired lead projectiles and I reblued it and used London gun oil on stock ! A mate has a Greener Belgium made 310 with a .323 bore and the only projectiles we can buy are .316 [miked] and they are excellent in my gun but rattle down the bore in his ! Many of the WW11 produced FMJ 310 Cadet head stamped MG and MF are well passed their use by date and do not fire so they are better kept as collectors items ! Back in the early 1900’s they shot competitions out to 800 yards with these little rifles and I’ve read about some amazing scores by the Cadets involved ! The Full Metal Jackets were made because these rifles were issued to some Queensland farmers as a last ditch defences if the Japanese got to Australia and the lead projectiles were against the Geneva Convention that Great Britain was a signatory to and we Australians being British subjects at the time had to follow suit ! My rifle is a very fine example of a beautiful Martini action rifle of yesteryear ! And I do not believe in the unwritten rule that you must leave an old firearm untouched to preserve its value ! I preserve it as an object of fine engineering to be admired !

2 Likes

And yes John New Zealand also bought Martini Cadets as training rifles and I should have mentioned NZ as well ! Getting old and forgetful !

It sounds like a lot of fun to shoot! I would love to have one…
It would be nice see some of the marks on that rifle, if you would be so kind.
Thanks!

No time at the moment but will photograph them and put them on ! The BSA ones have a kangaroo on the Knox form plus various markings ! I had one in 1963 cost 1 pound 10 shilling or $3.00 at the Army Disposal store, my first Centrefire to go with a tube magazine BSA 22 bolt action rifle so that was possibly the attraction of getting another one ! And it is magnificent to shoot being single shot with almost no recoils and you can shoot a 1 inch group at 75 yards with open sights easily from a rest !

I am envious of your good eyesight! I can still shoot that with a receiver [peep] sight,
but no longer with fine open sights, like military rifles have on them.
I have a BSA Martini .22 LR made in the 1950s’ with a Parker Hale receiver sight, and
I still enjoy shooting that one. As you say, single shot rifles with no recoil are wonderful
for old shoulders!

Thought I should show the range of Jacketed .310 Australian cartridges.
The round nose is scarce and uses the .455 Revolver primer.
Nice to see them all side-by side. Note the flat and rounded 3’s.

3 Likes

Had both lenses replaced with silicon because of cataracts so eyes are like new for last couple of years but the rest is worn out !

1 Like

ron3350
Very Nice set. Thanks for posting!
Dan

Thank you for the photos,I had not seen the round nose FMJ bullet.
My rifles are .323 bore and finding an accurate bullet was a chore.
I found a fellow who makes custom molds and they drop out at 130 grains.
A nice heeled bullet.I’m hosting a 200 meter off-hand match this month and so far my pet rifle is shooting very well indeed. I have to really be off my game to miss the target.cadet2

Cadet1

I was put-zing around in my shop and found I have some 8MM Kurtz bullets that are 125 grains. Bullet shape is close to the Martini FMJ, and I have a can of surplus Cordite powder.
I may load up some rounds and see how well it shoots the .323 jacketed bullet just for fun.

I had to do a double-take on that one… and look at the pictures twice.
Very cool set of cartridges, thanks!

What does the Cordite look like? What is the burn rate similar to?

I am only familiar with the long, twisted, strings of powder that were in the cracked
pre-WWII military rounds that were not safe to shoot, (which I disassembled, and
had much fun with).
Thanks!
This is from about a dozen cartridges…

The individual strands are 1.25"~1.5" [roughly 33~40mm] long…

I have the same cordite. It cut the strands to fill the case as 6 grains barely launched the bullet out of the barrel.
The composition is too slow to be used in the Cadet cartridge.

The trouble with unknown propellants is that one load may be obviously too weak, but the next increment may blow up the gun. Sorry to rain on your parade, but you are risking your health.

Edited typos.

With all due respect, I’ve been reloading for 57 years now and have used this Cordite for many loads that were safely worked up in several calibers. I’m well aware of the burn rate of this propellant and knew it would most likely be too slow for this cartridge.
I do appreciate your concern for my safety. Thank you.