.32 ACP by American Ammunition (A-MERC) in 50rd Clear Plastic Pack

This showed up at a friends shop recently as part of an ammo trade he made. I took some photos for the record as this does not seem to be represented here on the IAA Forum

A-MERC, c

I believe the bullet is copper coated lead.

Anyone know a time frame for this American Ammunition loading?

Thanks,

Brian

A-MERC was around in the 1990s, in a few pistol calibers. Universally recognized as some of the worst ammo and brass to ever appear.

1 Like

Is this a common headstamp in .32 ACP?

I honestly couldn’t tell you. I don’t collect commercial/civilian 7.65/.32, and I would never buy anything from them to shoot.
Sorry.
John???

1 Like

I have a box of 45 ACP and 3 rounds in the box have the primer seated backwards.

Jonny,

I can’t comment on the quality. I have never shot much of this, if any, and we never sold this brand in our store that I can recall,which means I cannot supply any customer feedback. So, I have no personal knowledge, pro or con, considering its quality in that regard.

Visual quality of the specimens I have is average, and I mean average; not poor and not sparkling perfect examples of the ammunition makers’ art. I have never encountered an outright, visually-defective A-MERC Cartridge, but do not doubt they have been seen. In 65 years of shooting, 57 years of cartridge collection, and 36 years of working in a very fine gun shop, I have found defective rounds - the most common defect was upside-down primers, but not limited to that (once found a bullet seated backwards). They are not common in any brand, but found occasionally in most all brands.

I will admit that three rounds in one box is beyond simply an occasional “miss” by the inspector. Pretty unforgivable in my view.

I have only seven samples of A-MERC boxes, one .32 Auto and six different 9 mm Luger. I have scanned all but one of the 9 mm, different only in bullet weight and zero differences in the top label, and have posted them below for anyone interested. The second picture is not over-cropped by me. The boxes are so large in total dimensions that the top of the upper box was slightly cut off by the scanner, as was the bottom of the lowest box. It does not affect anything important missing from the picture.

Note that one box is from RSR, a large American Sporting Jobber (whole-sale business rather than a retail store). At the very bottom of the label it is stated "Manufactured by American Ammunition, Miami, Florida, 33147. Visual quality of the ammunition is satisfactory. I did not bother to open, first because of the unusual Jobber labeling, but also for lack of anything to do with the very-common headstamps, which are all the standard A-MERC marking (all well-stamped, by the way.)

Edited to correct a spelling error only.

John Moss

1 Like

Rare Maybe not. Common sinc eno longer made also probably not anymore. Once peltiful although I too have never shot any of these so no comments on quality. John Moss gave greta pics of containers. the clear ones were as common as the boxes as i recall Though. BTW Smith and Wesson ammunition at lest the rifle variety was once packed in clear plastic also.

John - I don’t understand your first two sentences in your reply here. Could you clarify it? (“Rare maybe not. Common since no longer made also probably not anymore.”). Which label are you referring to? Also, I don’t understand the “common since no longer made.” I don’t consider any of these labels to be rare, or even scarce, for that matter, but being no longer made doesn’t imply something is common, often quite to the contrary.

Thank you for the compliment on the pictures.

Attached below is a picture of a 9 mm A-MERC box that I missed when I was getting them out of my collection. The picture of a single 9 mm round down at the bottom left of the label, which seems out of focus in my picture, is very poor resolution on the box itself, as well, much lower resolution than the rest of the label art.

John Moss

John I dont consider any of these rare! they were made in large quantity Sorry for confusion.

John - Thanks for the clarification. I agree with you on all of them. I think the RSR-labeled box may be somewhat scarce at this point, but I would not characterize it as rare by any means.

I was confused not just by the wording, but also because no one expressed any opinion that these boxes were rare on this thread.

Hope you have great holidays, my friend.

John M.