32 acp sfm 1945

I came into possession of a small “mini collection” of 32ACP at Denver,PA. While looking at all the different headstamps, I noticed these. And I started thinking…danger,danger. Spring 1945, Paris liberated in August 1944, who had time and resources for manufacturing 32ACP? It is not an offensive military cartridge, de Gaulle is still fighting communists, who controls ammo production and related resources like bread? I guess I need a lesson in French WWII history. May someone help?

Many countries produced ammunition immediately following the end of occupation or the end of the War. Remember, France was a colonial power, and I am sure fully realized that there would be a resurgence of their problems in French Indo China. That insurgency stopped simply because neither side wanted the Japanese there, and an unofficial truce was made between the French and those fighting them (Viet Minh? Forget if they were using that name before WWII or not). I am sure they also expected problems in North Africa, an on-going trouble spot for them.

They are not, however, the only case of ammunition production IMMEDIATELY following the cessation of hostilities within their own borders. This can be expanded on, but am late for an appointment, and have to get out of here.

I am sure there are many more knowledgeable than I that can, if Vlad wants it, expand on the theme of immediate post-occupation or post-war ammunition production in various countries.

John Moss

To the French, 32 ACP was a military cartridge. France issued large numbers of .32 caliber Spanish pistols in WWI and many of these weapons remained in service well into WWII, along side the 32 French Long caliber pistols adopted in the 1930’s. Also, after WWII France used captured 32 ACP caliber pistols in large numbers as police and military weapons.

1910 Brownings I believe.

The cartridge of 7.65 Browning is semiofficial.
It was used since 14/18 with PA Ruby and Star, then by the police with the PA Browning 10 and 10/22 (MAB R51 > WWII), MAB 7.65 by the French Navy, etc. …

French Ammo factories did not “Shut down” just because of the 1940 debacle.
Those in the German Zone continued making ammo, at a reduced rate, making Steel cased versions of 8mm Lebel, and the Pistol ammo for internal and eventual Atlantic Wall use. The Vichy area of France still had a colonial empire to maintain (North Africa and the Levant,) so Ammo production in the South of France also continued.( as wel as acquiring from the Nazi controlled Factories)

.32ACP was probably the most common “non-official” calibre Pistol cartridge throughout Occupied Europe from 1939 to 1945…both in Military and Police usage, so any production capacity available was used to fill the need, without having to “waste” capacity in factories supplying the major usage calibres ( 7,9 and 9mm)

So when Liberation came in Late 1944, despite the sacking of the factories for both arms and munitions by the resistance groups, production continued, and of course, by 1945, would have been on full footing again.
Of course the large input of Technology, technicians and raw materials from captured German Plants ( from the French Zone of West Germany) in 1946-48, also increased the productivity of the French ammo factories.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.