32 S&W auto experimental

Why this ctge is not listed in the IAA price list ?
And what is the value?
thanks
jp

I would say a good price for one in nice condition would be about $20. That is what I am asking for my duplicate example and I have been told by a experienced collector, that is about spot on price wise. gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt … =500005648

Joe

thank you Joe
But why this ctge is not listed in the IAA price list ?
jp

It is controversial. No documentation has ever come to light to prove it was actually produced to my knowledge other than a box label from a box of Remington rounds reading “.32 S. & W. Auto.” according to White and Munhall.
Basically I feel, someone could easily take a stock .32 ACP metal cap round and just turn the rim and extractor groove and whala.

Joe

thank you very much for the explanation
jp

Having always been intrigued by the .35 S&W Auto and the “why?” factor of its existence, I found this thread interesting and picked up an example of the “.32 S&W Auto” and a .35 S&W Auto ripe for the pullin’ to have a closer look at the subject.

Shown for reference below are (L-R):
REM-UMC 32 ACP weighing 116.0 gr.with a 70.3 gr. bullet .312” dia…
U.M.C. .32 A.C.P. weighing 113.7 gr. (the subject of this thread).
REM-UMC 35 S&W weighing 122.0 gr. with a 75.6 gr. bullet…317” dia.

I looked though the available catalogs from U.M.C. and others and found no Metal Point loadings for the .32 ACP. The .32 S&W 88 gr. load was the closest. Then I later found this thread searching the Forum:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4308

Most interesting are the following passages in a post by Lew:

June 21 1910 We made 1M of these cartriedges for S&W using a metal point bullet. Order # 739431/2 C.

Oct 1910 S&W ordered 5M more on order #20500C Oct.7-10

June 13 1911 S&W order for 5M cartridges (#9558C) like last metal point only perfectly headless and not crimped)

Perhaps the June 13, 1911 entry is a reference to the topic at hand?

Any U.M.C. metal point .32 ACP (regular case) examples out there?

Thanks for any input!

Dave

Does anyone know where one could obtain a copy of the UMC factory logs that are referenced in the thread linked in the above post?

Thanks,
Dave