.32 WCF draw set LH headstamp

This draw set comes from the old SFM stock.

chassepot

Wonderful set!

Do you have any document showing if this was actually made for Lacroix Hermanos from Guadalajara, Mexico?

Fede - I did a study of Mexican Metallic Cartridge headstamps some years ago. My intention was to write an article on it. However, what I had thought to be perhaps 30 or so known headstamps quickly turned into 200, far too many for a Journal article, I abandoned the project.

In that study, I did a lot of research on the “L H” and “L.H” heastamps. Two makers made this headstamp - S.F.M. of France and Union Metallic Cartridge Company of the USA (after their joining with Remington Arms, but with the UMC name still shown alone on the drawings), the former using a dot between the “L” and the “H” and the latter using simply “L H” as the headstamp. The factory drawings from UMC I have for several calibers are all dated either 1912 or 1913.

I have a factory drawing from SFM dated 14 May 1909 showing the “L.H” headstamp on seven different calibers - 32.S.W.; 38.S.W.; 44.A.S.W.; 44.R.S.W.; 32 W.C.F.; 38 W.C.F. and 44 W.C.F. I have typed them punctuated exactly as they appear on the SFM drawing. Regretably, the drawing does not identify for whom they were made.

European printed sources originally identified this headstamp as being for Hagen & Lund, of Oslo, Norway. (ECRA Issue 247-18/1). This made no sense to me for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, the calibers make no sense for a European dealer, especially one in Norway that appears to have been primarily a “local” dealer in ammunition, not a major exporter like DWM, Dynamit Nobel, etc… While a few achieved some use in Europe, others were certainly not not popular there, if used at all. One of the calibers, for example, made by Remington with the L H headstamp, was .38 Merwin & Hulbert. That of itself is, granted, weak evidence.

However, the headstamp is “L.H.” Why would it not be “H.L.” for “Hagen and Lund?” The order of the headstamp letters doesn’t make sense.

Also, while it does not show the actual maker of the ammunition, and was found empty, there is a box (English Language printing which probably means it was from Remington) for .44 W.C.F. which is one of the calibers made with LH headstamp by both SFM and UMC, “50 CAL.44 CARTRIDGES FOR WINCHESTER RIFLE, MODEL 1873, CENTRAL FIRE, LACROIX HERMANOS, GUADALAHARA,JAL., MEXICO.” This proves that they were selling ammunition, including a caliber known to be made with LH and L.H headstamps, at least boxed under their name only.

All circumstatial evidence, but in my opinion, pretty conclusive.

John, would have been a great project…

It seems that this firm in fact dealed with ammunition only.

A commercial directory from 1892 list this firm under the generic heading “Arms and ammunition”.

Another document about the history of Guadalajara describe it solely as a “Metallic Ammunition” trading company established in 1894 (yes, date seems to be wrong).

By 1899 their adress was “Portal de Agustinos 2”, Guadalajara, Jalisco.

Another document from 1904 list this company under the heading “Fábricas de Cartuchos Metálicos” (Metallic Ammunition Factories).

[quote=“JohnMoss”]

I have a factory drawing from SFM dated 14 May 1909 showing the “L.H” headstamp on seven different calibers - 32.S.W.; 38.S.W.; 44.A.S.W.; 44.R.S.W.; 32 W.C.F.; 38 W.C.F. and 44 W.C.F. [/quote]

I found in the SFM old stock one .450 revolver CF empty case with L.H head stamp :

chassepot

I have an entire box of LH .44 Colt in great condition if anyone is interested. Thanks . Aaron

Aaron,
Please post a picture of the box if you can.
Thanks,
Dan