.320 Rook

Found this box and was wondering whether this was black powder loading or nitro. I am assuming BP and approx when it was made. Box is empty and label was scanned and image cropped.

8grns sounds about right for BP. Had it been smokeless it would probably have said smokeless as that was a selling point.

Hi David
As the label notes 8 grains of FFFF black powder & as Vince notes if smokeless it would have been so stated.
As to the time frame I’m sorry I can’t help.
Best
Pete

Thanks. If I had just looked in Flemings book …I would have answered my own question on the powder. the date I thought someone here would have been able pin down.

Were there different loads (rifle and pistol) for this cartridge? I have always seen this cartridge described as adapted to revolver and rifles, but never seen “special” rifle or revolver loads

Fleming lists only one bullet weight, 80gr. but there were shot and blanks loaded also with several smokeless/cordite powder loadings. This box label states “for rifles” so perhaps there were both? With the proprietary nature of British gun and ammo making I would suppose there would be the possibility of pistol/revolver loads.

David, the trademark showing the EBL monogram was applied on October 21, 1885 and registered on May 18, 1886. It seems that it first appeared in the Eley catalog dated May, 1886.

I don’t know if there is a relation between the timeframe of cartridge illustrations found in box labels with those found in catalogs and ads, but if so, this one was in use at least between 1892 and 1905.

The excerpt shown below was taken from the 1893 catalog:

Regards,

Fede

Sportclay,

This cartridge is listed in the Eley catalog dated 1886 as a black powder load only, but in the 1902 catalog it can be had in either black or smokeless.
the listing states "Adapted to Winchester single shot rifles, Marlin repeating rifles, Colts revolvers, Rook rifles, and Webley and Tranter revolvers.

Jim Buchanan

Thanks to all. . This certainly narrows the dating a bit closer.

It was a very confusing time, especially with regard to the .32 family of ammo and guns. This stuff was ‘hardware’ at the bottom end of the market. You ordered it along with nails and toilet paper. Nobody could ever have imagined that 100+ years on geeky people would be talking about it on something called the internet. If you could get it in and close the gun it was regarded as a fit

£2 was that for 100?? That was a long way more than a weeks pay for the average man at that time. Puts it all rather into perspective doesn’t it?