.320 Tin ID help

Any ideas who this ammunition was loaded for and is it possible to get the tin re tinned ?

Whoops just read the label properly the answer is on the tin.

hum!
it is a nice sfm box
jp

None of my business, but I would never get a nice old original tin like that refinished in any way. It can only depreciate its value.

[quote]Any ideas who this ammunition was loaded for and is it possible to get the tin re tinned ?
[/quote]

Not sure I quite understand the question since it is (as JP says) an SFM tin. It was loaded for the Arms & Ammunition Manufacturing Company (as it says on the box) who were in business from 1891 until about 1904 when they were supposedly taken over by J.R. Watson & Co. Their 1904 catalogue includes a “house brand” line plus Kynoch products.

The address on the box was also the London address for “Gevelot, Gaupillat & Co” (1887-1888) and “Gevelot & Company” (1884-1895). I suspect this was an address of convenience rather like a modern Post Office Box number.

It’s a nice tin and I would hesitate to have it re-tinned unless you (a) never want to sell it, (b) don’t mind being ridiculed by other collectors, or © are about to be plead insanity in an upcoming court appearance.

Chris P.

I didn’t know it was SFM, and I hadn’t read the label. I take it that re tinning is a bit of a no no :) and that would go for the Eley .442 Orange label and .450 Green label tins as well then ;)

Thanks for all the info…at least I know now that you can get tins re tinned.

I’ll take © and go for the insanity plea.

The Arms and Ammuntion was the english branch of gevelot.
they never amanufactured any ammo.
Only loading them
JP

Thanks JP.