.32acp id?

I got this recently,but can’t identify the headstamp.It’s too small and I’ve never seen it before.could anybody help me?
IMG_20190114_083120 Thanks
Sheng

1 Like

This one is Turkish (or made for Turkey). The experts will tell more.

I think it is Italian-made, but on a contract for someone in Turkey. I believe the “FTCI” headstamp is still unidentified as to the recipient in Turkey.
Can we see a side view of the cartridge, including the bullet?

I believe Jon is correct. This style headstamp can be found in many calibers. All that I have documented are contract loads by various European companies like FN and SFM. I agree that this one is very likely to be Italian because the caliber designation C.7.65mm is a typically Italian designation and GFL was and probably still is the biggest exporter of ammo in Italy. I would guess this was probably a product of the 1920s or early 1930s.

No specific proof of any of this of course, but I am pretty confident of Jon’s identification.

A very nice item in my opinion. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Lew

Jon and Lew, I agree it has an Italian look, but it was made in France by SFM (1928 order). The open “6” is very characteristic of heastamps made by SFM (e.g., 6,35 mm Browning, 7,65 mm Para., 7,62 mm Nagant).

“F.TC.I” stand for “Türkiye Cumhuriyeti Fişekleri İnhisarı” (Republic of Turkey, Cartridges Monopoly).

Regards,

Fede

Fede, can you explain the Italian-style “C” in the caliber designation? And who exactly was "“Türkiye Cumhuriyeti Fişekleri İnhisarı”? Was it a government contract, civilian, or some kind of broker that supplied govt. contracts?

Jon, it was a civilian contract ordered by the Cartridges Monopoly created by the Turkish Government in 1925, that was one of several monopolies (explosives, tobacco, &c.) created after the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire in 1922 and the liquidation of the Ottoman Public Debt Administration established to collect the payments owed to European companies. After it was created, this monopoly was leased to a private company, in which the treasury held a 50% share, and French interests held almost all the rest.

I don’t have documentation explaining the meaning of the “C”, but I assume it would stand for “cal.” or “calibre” (the Turkish word is very similar and written “çap”). Other headstamps have a caliber designation precedeed by a “P” (7.65 and 9 mm Parabellum) or “N” (7.62 mm Nagant), for example.

Regards,

Fede

Fede - since the 7.65 and 9 mm Para cartridges are preceded by a “P” and the 7.62 mm Nagant by an “N”, would it make sense for the “C” to stand for “Colt” rather than “Calibro” (the Italian spelling - or Caliber, çap, etc.). Just wondered, because it would follow the pattern. The downside of my guess is, of course, that the 7.65 mm cartridge was much more known in Europe as the 7.65 mm Browning, than as the 7.65 mm Colt. Just food for thought.

Great headstamp. First time I have seen it, and it is in a caliber I have seriously collected for 50+ years.

John Moss

Here it comes. the bullet is brass jacket but under the cannelure had been nickel platedIMG_20190114_130444

In my comments about the meaning of the “C” above, I somehow missed the fact that this was French made (S.F.M.). So ignore the comment on the Italian spelling of “Caliber”. The question about the possibility that it means “Colt” in light of the meaning on the Parabellum cartridges (“P”) and the Nagant cartridge “N”. It doesn’t seem likely for the reasons stated, but yet would follow the pattern set by the other three cartridge case-types mentioned.

John M.

John, you could be right as well about the meaning of “C”, but there is no way to tell from available documentation. However, SFM describes the 6,35 and 7,65 mm cartridges of this Turkish contract as “Browning”.

Here is the box:
7%2C65%20mm%20Browning

Here is another label from the reference collection (all labels from this series start with “Cal”):

Saludos,

Fede

Fede - you are probably totally correct. It was just a thought. I have about the same box you show, except for the 6.35 mm cartridge. I will have to revisit that box. Sometimes when I get a theory, even if I not particularly wedded to it as in this case, I throw it out for other opinions to see what other information might come forward. In this case, the labels you show were worth the adventure! :-)

Salud amigo. Feliz año nuevo.

John

Fede, I should have checked my files instead of giving an answer off the top of my somewhat aged head!

I have the same headstamp but in 6.35mmB on an SFM drawing dated 1929. I also have a photo of the headstamp on a 7.65mm Para round ideentified as SFM with the identical 6. Another point of itentification are the serif letters on the F TC I. Only Geco and SFM used serif letters on these Turkish headstamps and the Geco (which I only know from a 7.63M round) has large letters and two stars on the headstamp while the SFM uses small to very small letters.

Great subject! Thanks