32EXL to 20 gauge adapter

Here is a picture of the adapter mentioned in my other post.

The .32 ExL cartridge was stuck in the back end of this adapter.

Theearlof,

Welcome to the Forum.

That adapter would more likely be for a .32 Winchester Special as I don’t see anything 20 ga. like.
In the other post you show what I believe is a .32 Extra Long Ballard, though I could be mistaken.

Are there any markings on the adapter cartridge?

Dave

I am finding some information that would lead me to believe that the cartridge is a REM UMC .32 Extra Long Ballard shot cartridge.

There are no markings on the adapter, but the diameter is the same as a 20 gauge shotshell. The cartridge fits in the back of the adapter (where the primer pocket would be) and is flush with the base of the adapter which would allow it to be fired in a shotgun.

Theearlof,
the outside shape of a 20 gauge shotgun cartridge is more or less cylindrical.
Your adapter has the typical outside shape of a rimmed, bottle-necked rifle cartridge. The rifle would have to have a bore diameter that can accomodate the bullet of the smaller cartridge you show in the other post.
I think this led DaveE to propose .32 Winchester Special as the caliber of the rifle the adapter is intended for.

Theearlof,

I may have misjudged the scale here and probably should’ve asked for some dimensions. Also assumed the .32 was a ball load…So, if the adapter is for a 20 ga. (and is not rifled?), used for shot loads as you found with it?

Dave

J

The adapter has all of the correct dimensions for a 20 gauge shot shell out to the point where it necks down. There is an evenly sized hole all the way through the adapter but the last 1 to 2” are smooth and not rifled. The overall length of the adapter is 3 3/8” and the length of the necked down portion is 7/8”. This section is .577” with a very slight taper. The adapter has a rimmed base like a shotgun shell and the adapter drops smoothly into a 20 gauge barrel and is flush with the end of the chamber end of the barrel.

I also have some REM UMC .32 S&W bullets and blanks and neither of those will fit into the adapter so they are slightly larger than the REM UMC .32 ExL loaded case shown in the picture.

Based on all of that, I would strongly suspect that the adapter is used to shoot .32 ExL shot loads in a 20 gauge shotgun.

Hope this explains things a little better.

Earl

Dave

Thanks for the reply.

Here is the info I sent to JPeelen who also responded:

The adapter has all of the correct dimensions for a 20 gauge shot shell out to the point where it necks down. There is an evenly sized hole all the way through the adapter but the last 1 to 2” are smooth and not rifled. The overall length of the adapter is 3 3/8” and the length of the necked down portion is 7/8”. The necked section is .577” diameter with a very slight taper. The adapter has a rimmed base like a shotgun shell and the adapter drops smoothly into a 20 gauge barrel and is flush with the end of the barrel.

I also have some REM UMC .32 S&W bullets and blanks and neither of those will fit into the adapter so they are slightly larger than the REM UMC .32 ExL loaded case shown in the picture.

Based on all of that, I would strongly suspect that the adapter is used to shoot .32 ExL shot loads in a 20 gauge shotgun.

Hope this explains things a little better.

Earl

The adaptor was possibly made to fit a rifle chambered for the 20/.577 Alexander Henry calibre.

The photo shows page 53 from George Hoyem’s ‘History and Development of Small Arms Ammunition’ Vol.3.

32EXL cartridge and 20 gauge adapter for this cartridge

Not sure but if I read the description you posted, it would indicate the overall length of that cartridge is 2 3/4 in. The adapter I have is 3 3/8 in. overall length so if it was an adapter for that, wouldn’t it likely have the same dimensions? It appears to be made of one piece of solid brass and is quite heavy. I was given this item by a good friend of mine but he had no idea what it was.

Unless it was rebored to fit a more modern cartridge, it would only be a curious collectable. Would it have any or much value?

Compare the shoulders The distance from the base of the cartridge to the shoulder on both yours & the photos in Hoyem’s book, If the neck is smaller or of a overall longer length, it wouldn’t matter as it would chamber & if fired the shot would not be hard on the rifling at the throat & start.

edited to add the shape / profile of the shoulder is also very important.

Your photo does not show the profile of the adapter so it’s very difficult to see.
This was not a bolt action rifle so over all cartridge length would not be a concern with using this adapter, Chamber fit would be.
Although shooting a .32 Ex long in such a heavy / thick brass adapter might not need much extra steel around it.

The straight section before the shoulder measures c. 2.5" (63.5 mm), so it won’t fit the chamber of a 20/.577 Henry. In my opinion, it has the typical shape of an early shotshell adapter -most French models are necked and made of one piece-, but I don’t think it was made to fire a .32 XL Shot, for the same reasons mentioned above by Pete.

What are the dimensions of the adapter’s chamber?

I have those dimensions in one of my earlier posts above. Based on those, I don’t think this adapter would chamber in the 20/.577.

It definitely will chamber perfectly in a 20 gauge.

The adapters bore measures .311" at the muzzle end, .3145 at the base.
The .32ExL cartridge that fits it snugly measures .314 (straight case).
The .32 S&W cartridge measures .335 and will not fit.

Might I suggest the adapter is for the .32 Rook cartridge. It is in Hoyem’s book also on page 136. It is very similar to the 32 Extra Long. It is about 30mm (1 - 3/16") Long. Other wise the bullet dia. .312", mouth dia, .319", base dia. .319", and rim dia. .374" are very close.
Zac
32%20Rook32%20Rook%202

Based on the Rook’s mouth and base measurements, I don’t think it would fit in the adapter. See my post above yours for the measurements I found for the adapter.

If this was a British sub-gauge adapter wouldn’t it have proof marks on it? I have a number of adapters similar to this and they are American made and have

no proof marks but some have caliber designation markings or brand name markings and patent markings. Every British adapter I have has proof markings on them. Here are 2 British made adapters one sold by Parker-Hale in the 60’s -70’s and the other is one of a pair that came with a Westley Richards shotgun I own. It is 12 bore to 28bore 2.5" and a .410 2.5" bore insert in that. I will post some pics of the American made that are chambered for various .32 cal. cartridges.

The top pic has 2 apparently homemade adapters. The upper is made from a 12 ga. Winchester brass shell with a brass barrel insert and chambered for .32 S&W the tube is smooth bore. Fingernail notch extraction
The 2nd is a one piece lathe turned brass adapter chambered for .410 2.5" thumbnail extraction and certainly not well designed as the tube bulged just forward of the chamber.
The photo with 3 adapters Are all .32 cal. but the top one is16 bore chambered for .32-20 it was patented by Paul Otto Elterich. The Patent #US672824 was granted 99 years ago yesterday, and called the Elterich Rifled Bullet Shell. Marked with R-B-S Reg. Trade Mark. These were made with and without the barrel tube. The short case length version was so it would function through a pump shotgun such as the Win. '93 and '97. This is a smooth bore I have one with a rifled tube in .32 S&W. Made in 10, 12, and 16 bore. Has a mechanical extractor.
The middle one is also 16 bore chambered for 32 S&W it is rifled and only marked with the ga. and caliber. Mechanical extractor. Unknown maker
The bottom one is 16 bore to 32 S&W, smooth bore, with a mechanical extractor. Unknown maker.

I don’t believe the reduction in diameter of the forward part of the adapter in theearlof’s original post was made to fit a specific bottleneck chambered cartridge/firearm. simply a 20ga. to .32 cal sub-gauge insert. I have a drawer full of adapters that I suspect were made by amateur gunsmiths/ machinists, most are similar with finger nail extractor cutouts and this same reduced barrel diameter forward of the chamber. I find these things fascinating and buy them when ever I find one.