32S&WL i.d. help headstamp

I have this question from the Dutch NVBMB website whats the meaning of the L after 32S&WL
I believe this cartridge is made by “Magtech Recreation Products” inc uit Brazil is this correct?
Please help to i.d. this cartridge

thanks Gyrojet

That extractor groove and bevel doesn’t look like it belongs on a revolver cartridge. The rim looks a little large in diameter for what I am going to suggest, but the cartridge suggested is semi-rimmed, so it might be o.k. for it. This looks like a .32 S&W long cartridge case turned into a (nominally) 17 mm long .32 Auto (7.65 mm Browning) cartridge. MRP handgun cartridges, loaded by CBC of brazil, usually have the “V”-marked primers (Velot) to identify the cartridge as being factory loaded, and not a reload.

This is a real WAG on my part, since only the case length is given, when we really need also the head (rim) diameter, the base diameter and the overall cartridge length at the minimum to see what they might compare to. In the picture, proportionately, it looks like a .32 Auto case, but going by that is a real crap shoot.

CIP knows the old (black powder aera) .32 S&W as well as the .32 S&W Long. The latter being much used in competition shooting.

The L in the headstamp is absolutely normal for a .32 S&W Long in a CIP country (max. case length 23.37 mm). The case started its life as an ordinary .32 S&W Long.

I have a 25 acp with a R-P 32 S&W L headstamp in my collection.
This same headstamp/cartridge is in a number of collections.
Can you measure and see if the dimensions fit 25acp/6.35 Browning?

The case length is 16,8mm

Gyrojet - Rim, base and OA cartridge length would be good to know, Again, I think the absence of the “V” primer marks this round as a reload by itself, but there may be other case alterations. It doesn’t seem to be an instance of the wrong headstamp on the case, but rather the case altered to another caliber. The .32 Auto round would be the logical choice, I think, but without other measurements, it is really a “guess and a gosh.” The case length is close to the nominal 17 mm of the .32 auto cartridge.

Thanks John

I think also it’s a .32 auto cartridge , but what the L in the headstamp.

gyrojet

Gyrojet - the “L” stands for “Long”. This was a .32 revolver case for the .32 Smith and Wesson Long cartridge that was, in my opinion, altered to .32 Auto (7.65 mm Browning). The primer shows it was not a factory load, as there is no “V” on the primer, adopted by CBC for factory loads only, in the 1990s, evidently because of reloaded and otherwise phony ammunition be sold in phony CBC boxes, in Brasil, as being real CBC ammo. The primers and primer cups with “V” impressed on them are not sold outside of the CBC factory. Primers sold for reloading have plain, unmarked cups.

Right after WWII, this type of case conversion making 9 mm Para cases from those for .38 Special were common in the USA and I have several examples of them in my collection. The .38 Special brass was not hard to get (fired) as almost every police agency in the United States, at that time, used .38 Special-caliber revolvers. Since at the time, there were NO USA-made 9 mm pistols (I believe the S&W Model 39 or the Colt Commander was the first - I have forgotten which one) most of the 9 mm made in America was for shipment to allied countries during the war. Right after the war, the country was flooded with souvenir pistols from the War in Europe and there was more call for 9 mm Para than the factories could quickly handle. Frankly, with all the .32 autos brought back (Walther, Mauser, Sauer, CZ, Beretta, etc. ad nauseum, I am surprised you don’t see improvised ammunition in that caliber, from those years and from the USA. I don’t think I have ever seen one.

Of course, your round is a far more modern conversion with the MRP headstamp, likely from the 1990s. I don’t know why these days anyone would bother to do that, although at least in the USA, even though it is available from the factory, not many gunshops carry .32 Auto brass, as it is not a popular caliber to reload in our country.

If the make of the bullet could be identified, it would probably reveal much more information than does the case.

Cute cartridge, by the way. Not many collectors keep these “home-made” rounds, but they are interesting, if for no other reason than they show what can be done if someone wants ammo for their gun bad enough! By the way, admittedly, it is simply my opinion that the round is home-made. It would take close examination to determine that, which anyone as knowledgeable as you about ammo could do.

I think it’s a reload cartridge

Harry, I agree with John, this was made using a .32 Smith & Wesson Long case. The knurled cannelure at this low position is found in CBC/Magtech’s lead wadcutter 98 gr. loading.

Thanks Fede that’s explains the cannelure.