330 BSA Nitro Express and the Small Arms Calibre Panel (SACP)

Plucking up courage to start sorting the documents I copied at the National Archives on the outskirts of London … a Sisyphean task as there are several thousand pages, I found this entry in a Record Book of Contracts dealing with Experimental Items (Ministry of Supply SUPP 4/348);

Why would the British War Office in 1945/46 be ordering 10,500 rounds each of these calibres ?

Pete

1st never heard of a .256 Krag-Jorgensen so no idea at all about that.

2nd the early Eley headstamp for this called it a .330. The experiments (that I’m aware of) were for AP plate test. It has a KYNOCH .33 NITRO headstamp. eley 330

.256 Krag-Jorgensen MIGHT be, 6.5 x 55 Swedish ?

Randy

I think Randy is on the right track. Sounds to me like the .256 Krag is ammo for the Norwegian-Krag rifles. Maybe for a rearmament of the Norwegian Armed Forces or the Norwegian Police, or if early enough in 1945, perhaps for Norwegian Partisans.

John Moss

Do I read correctly “Cartridge cases empty capped” [capped meaning with primer]?
This, combined with the very small quantity (for military use) my guess is ballistic testing. After all, the so-called Ideal Calibre Panel Report would be published in April 1947.

Clarification: I think of testing to learn more about small arms interior ballistics or bullet behaviour, using the above calibers (and presumably others) as test vehicle.

Agree with JP. The Ideal Calibre Panel tested 6.5x55, 30-06 and .330".

Hohum … hands up anyone else with a chaotic “filing” system on their computer, let alone in their printed files.

A picture from the Small Arms Calibre Panel (SACP).

Pete

Edit; Thread title changed to reflect new information … thanks folks !!