.333 OKH Cartridges Beltless and Rimless

Please note in the above pictures:
Left Picture, cartridge on Left is the .333 OKH “BELTED" with Correct “OKH Headstamp (top Right picture)
Left Picture cartridge on Right is the .333 OKH “RIMLESS” made from a 30-06 case and 30-06 headstamp (bottom Right picture)

2 Different Cartridges: .333 OKH Belted and .333 OKH Rimless. Made from new Brass. This is live ammunition
The .333 OKH (Belted) with “Correct Headstamp” is a wildcat originally produced from necking down the .338 Winchester Magnum (.338" Caliber) to accept (.333 caliber) bullets, it also has a steeper neck with a (Weatherby like) radius neck.

The .333 OKH (Rimless) is a wild cat cartridge produced from 30-06 cases (.30" caliber) necked up to accept .333" (.333 caliber) bullets.
For more information Click below:
https://shop.ammo-one1.com/product.sc?productId=1130&categoryId=1093

Since the .333 OKH (Belted) round you show is a properly headstamped cartridge by a well-known cartridge producer, why would it still be termed a wildcat? Many well-know “factory” cartridges started life as wildcats, the .22-250 for example, if I am remembering correctly, but are not so considered now due the existence of factory made, properly headstamped brass.

When does a wildcat cease being that and become a factory cartridge (another example, 9 x25 mm Dillon)? Just curious. Pretty much out of my own field here, although I do save, but not actively seek out, auto pistol wildcats.

John

Depends on what you feel is a wildcat, John.
It is not standardized by SAAMI, I feel it is a wildcat.
No mass production by a large manufacturer as loaded and never loaded as ammunition for the general the public ? Maybe a wildcat.
I feel the OKH line to my knowledge meets those rules, so I feel it is a still a wildcat.
Peter at Quality Cartridges Co. customs makes 100s of odd ball cartridges that are wildcats, but they are not in mass production and sold to the public as loaded ammunition.
I think we’re basically splitting hairs on the definition of wildcat and I feel if it was never been mass produced as loaded ammunition for the general public, it may be considered a wildcat. I maybe wrong, would not be the first time :-) You may feel otherwise. No problem with that, :-) God bless you, enjoy the holiday. .
At any rate , the 1940 and 50s wildcatters produced 100s of wildcats that are now mass produced and standardized today. A great time in history for the firearms industry.

Dave - some good points, for sure. I am not sure I agree with all of them - lots of ammo is not loaded “for the general public,” and yet made in quantities by major factories. Some over the years have been in case types that are scarcer now than some wildcats. Also, some cartridges have been made in fairly small quantities but were sold to the public. I guess it is a crap shoot using “quantity” as a criteria, either way.

You are right that in many instances it is “splitting hairs” trying to define what a wildcat is. It is a difficult term to define. Among many I know, a cartridge ceases to be a wildcat when any correctly-headstamped, for caliber, brass is made. But again, that can be splitting hairs.

Probably no good answer to the question - all depends on your point of view.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I have no personal experience with wildcats. Never had any use for a firearm that couldn’t be filled with standard, pretty easy to get case type (ammo and components, since I load, myself, most of what I (used to) shoot, as I could never find or think of any situation or type of game (although I am not a hunter) that wasn’t easily handled by available, standard case types of ammunition.

Hope all is well with you and yours in these troubled times.

John

Still, Wildcats are interesting and fun to collect. As I said, I don’t seriously seek at the auto pistol variations, but if one falls into my hands, I will save it. I actually have a fair number of them.