.338 Lapua Magnum sniper loads

Here are some .338 Lapua Magnum loadings used by military and police.

The first set are Finnish loadings which include 1. Ball, 2. API(black o/red tip), 3. AP (with hollowpoint), 4. experimental API (zirconium tip?) and 5. Blank (with green sealant on rose crimp).

The headstamps belong to rounds 4., 2., 3., and 1. The blank has a h/s like #4. Note the 2 different fonts used in the ‘Shield’ headstamps.

The Swiss loadings are 1. AP (tungsten core), 2. Ball, and 3. Blank (with black sealant on rose crimp).

The headstamps belong to 2. and 1. The blank has a headstamp like #1, but has a black primer seal. Note the 2 styles of headstamp fonts.

The Dutch loads are 1. Ball, 2. Ball (with green mouth seal), 3. Blank

The headstamps belong to rounds 3., 2., and 1. The blank load has a nickeled primer with red seal and a black seal on the rose crimp. Both ball loadings have brass primers with green seals. Note the caliber designation (8.6 x 70)

The New Zealand loads are NUPE and blank. The blank has a clear sealant over the rose crimp.

Both cases have the same headstamp. ODL is Ordnance Development Ltd.

The last 2 are Austrian and Canadian manufactured rounds. The Canadian round was made for McMillan (Arizona). It has a steel case finished black. It is reported that thse cases were also manufactured in brass and aluminum.

The headstamps belong to 1., and 2. On the Canadian case, the ‘L’ within the arrowhead is the manufacturers mark. His surname is Lepine.

Hello Paul
I have in my collection a Draw Set .338
Steel case-CNC machined Mfgd by:LaCartouchiere,in Canada for McMillan Bros Rifle Co.
regards Harrie

I have conflicting ID on these. Any idea what the RAP means ? No hs. Purple stripe on head. SOME YEAR AGO THERE WAS A BIG PUSH ON TO DEVELOPE A LONG RANGE SNIPER RIFLE WHICH COULD BE USED AT .50 RANGES BUT WITH MUCH LESS WEIGHT. THIS .416 NECKED DOWN TO .338 WAS ONE OF THE BETTER CONTENDERS . THIS BOX SAYS IN HAND WRITING ON THE BACK “RAP USE ONLY” AND IT IS LOT RAP-1-19. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND ANYONE WHO WILL OR CAN TELL ME. THESE ARE A PREVIOUSLY UNKNOWN LOAD WITH A PURPLE PRIMER(PURPLE X ON THE BOX)AND NO HEADSTAMP. INFORMATION FROM TWO U.S. ARMY SOURCES DISAGREE: 1) REMINGTON ARMS PROOF- RETIRED SNIPER,2) RIFLE ANTI-PERSONNEL- CURRENT PROJECT MANAGER. NO PAPERWORK YET.ANOTHER VIEWER ADDS:“This cartridge is the .416 trimed back and necked down to .338 is now known as the .338 Lapua. It is in use with the military of the UK in the L116 sniper system manufactured by Accuracy International as the AWM. The history of the cartridge is Crtridges of the World by Frank Barnes. I hope this helps”.STILL NO PAPERWORK REFERING TO THE U.S. USE OR TEST OF THIS ROUND.

Any ideas ?

Some new info.

YOU BASICALLY HAVE “ALL OF THE INFO” CORRECT !! What YOU have,and I have NO
IDEA how YOU GOT IT!!?? Is the PROTOTYPE
RNS to the .338 LUPUA SNIPER SYS. BY: ACCURACY INTERNATIONAL…The BRITISH
SNIPER TEAM IS (at this very moment) TEACHING the U.S.M.C. Scout Snipers &
THe Navy Seals
HOW TO USE THEIR SYSTEM… Gun Consists of a REMINGTON SUPER
MAG ACTION (NOT AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC>>>) An Elect. Trigger
KREGIER XXX 28" HV BBL./McMillian Sniper Stock & either a
Nightforce or Undisclosed Scope… This Gun will SHOOT right
along side the .50 Barrett, but is 3 X’s LIGHTER shoots a
300 grn. BTHP / W/ BELTLESS MAG LUPUA CASE - 102 grns of powder… very
FAST TWIST BBL. - The British have been working on this gun for the last 10
yrs. The U.S. has only JUST started using the gun… The Navy has
RESERECTED the M14
as their scout Sniper Rifle -BUT IN A VERY NEW CONFIGURATION
W/ Nightforce or Smit & Bender Glass… HOW DID YOU GET THAT BOX OF AMMO???
I thought it was STILL CLASSIFIED!!?? I worked
w/ 8th Marines in NAM…WE used Remingtons (M48’s) and there is a NEW one
of those out JUST THIS YEAR!!! Navy Seals
& Marine Scout Snipers TRAIN TOGETHER… "STILL (1) SHOT (1) KILL!!
C.L.Morris USN RET. CW4

In 1985 Jim Shults wrote "Big Brass Busters " article in "Gung Ho weapons Handbook " describing the Research Armament Industries Inc. new sniping rifles . One was a .50 Browning -the other chambered in the the new .416 /.338 cartridge developed by RAI. The white cardboard cartidge box has in black ink :

20 EA.
                             338 / 416
                         LOT RAP  -1-89 

RAP used a custom .338 Hornaday 250 gr.bt hp match projectile in these rounds.

"The model 300 rifle was developed by team lead by J.Haskins in the 1981 and 1982 as a long-range sniper rifle for US military. It was probably one of the first of purposefully designed sniper weapons, not a rework from existing military, hunting or sporting rifle. Model 300 also served as a testbed for development of the new long-range sniping ammunition, initially known as .416-.338 (metric designation 8.58x71 mm), which latter was refined by Finnish company Lapua-Nammo Oy and one day became the now-famous .338 Lapua (8.6x70mm Lapua), a true long-range number. About 1983, US Military issued a contract for some 125 model 300 rifles (along with the same number of Model 500 .50 caliber rifles). Model 300 rifle did not appear in large numbers, but it must be noted as a forerunner of many modern designs of sniper weapons, an also as a "parent" rifle for a .338 Lapua Magnum cartridge. 

The development team of the model 300 (and model 500) during the time worked under the many “labels” - they began the development as a RAP - Research Armament Prototypes company. Latter RAP became RAI - Research Armament Industries. Next it was purchased by the Daisy and became a Daisy Defence Systems, and finally it was bought by the Iver Johnson. " world.guns.ru/sniper/sn51-e.htm

Glenn

Interesting stuff guys.

As a long range Benchrest shooter I gotta ask - what kind of accuracy is possible out of those sniper combinations?

No shooter that I know uses them out to 1000 yards and the smaller cartridges are more accurate than even the 50 BMG at that distance.

Has (is) anyone working with the new 416 Barrett?

Ray

I think I have a couple of boxes of armor piercing ammo floating round my cartridge room. I’ll see if I can find them and photograph them.