.338 Lapua Magnum?

Dear All,
I have come into possession ( thru my friendly scrap dealer) of a small quantity of fired .338LM cases, BALL AND BLANK!

Headstamp (1200) T (0600) 338LM, Nickel Plated Boxer LR primers, Uncrimped.

Ball case, primer flattened; Blank case primer slightly flattened, but not as obvious as the Ball case.
The Blank Case is approx. 4mm longer than the Ball case, with an 8-segment star crimp; also the “Neck” is reduced to about .30 cal about half way along the "Real "Neck, as well.

Obviously dropped off by a serving member, as this ammo is restricted to ADF Sniper teams and some Police SERT selected marksmen ( Police are NOT “Snipers”).

Any clues as to manufacturer…Brass is of Lapua Factory quality, and “T” is obviously NOT “Tula”…could it be “Thun” (CH) thru a connection between NAMMO and RUAG? or even “Troisdorf”? ( Old RWS-DWM facility, now RUAG?).

First time I have seen Blanks being made or used in a purely Sniper Rifle ( training potential Snipers in Firing technique, etc???) Unless they are also using a Semi-Auto (Sniper) Rifle in this calibre, with appropriate BFA fitted. Blanks are Blown “full out”, so initial pressure must be sufficient to operate mechanism without back pressure to crush or reclose crimp ( as happens in Assault Rifles and MGs.).

Any help appreciated.

Doc AV
AV Ballistics.
Brisbane Australia.

Recently I get some cases similar to yours but in .308, good quality brass and nickel plated boxer primers.They came from sniper training range.

The headstamp is: T (12:00) .308 (6:00) and P (3:00)

Could it be the same manufacturer as yours?

Domi

It was made by RUAG Ammotec A.G., Thun, Switzerland.

dear Fede,
Thanks for the Information.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

Hi Doc,

These blank cartridges (RUAG made) are also in service with the Royal Netherlands Army for stalking exercises: the sniper is supposed to approach an instructor within 300 meters, fire a shot and remain invisible during the entire exercise. That’s the purpose of the blank cartridge in our army.

Cheers,
Thijs.

[quote=“Thijs”]Hi Doc,

These blank cartridges (RUAG made) are also in service with the Royal Netherlands Army for stalking exercises: the sniper is supposed to approach an instructor within 300 meters, fire a shot and remain invisible during the entire exercise. That’s the purpose of the blank cartridge in our army.

Cheers,
Thijs.[/quote]

This is a “tradition” in sniper training courses. If I recall it right it was a US practice which spread all over the western world. Even AREX in Slovenia is offering .338LM plastic blanks.