338 norma magnum now in the USA

This is what I have been able to research so far, if I am wrong , please let me know.
Technically this is a European sporting cartridge, but the idea was born in the U.S.A. by American sport shooter Jimmie Sloan as a
long-range sport shooting wildcat cartridge.
Jim built the then wildcat cartridge by shortening and necking
down a 416 Rigby cartridge.
Later the design was purchased by the ammunition manufacturer Norma in 2009, most likely to compete against 338 Lapua as a great sniper cartridge.
With a 300 grain projectile traveling at 2,750 FPS, so it does well vs. the 338 Lapua which is about the same speed, but the Lapua has a longer case length.
For now the 338 Norma magnum is a European sporting cartridge, but I think it may be considered a military cartridge soon enough.
Thank You,
Dave Call
ammo-one.com

The .338 LM is American too so it fits.

Dave,
what is the OAL of your sample? It should be similar to the 338 Lapua
A guy from Norma said me that this cartridge was developed for the 300 grains Sierra MK bullets ( the same of your cartridge) , that not every 338 Lapua rifle can stabilize correctly.

The story you reported is correct. Anyway, the original 338 Norma magnum was quite different as designed by Norma and pictured on their catalog. Norma thought about a new beltless magnum serie, including the 300 and the 375 to compete against the new RUM’s . They later adopted this new design from Jimmie Sloan. The 300 is the same except for the bullet diam. The 375 version was never developed and marketed since “there are too much similat 375 cartridges on the market”

Am I right in believing that the .338 NM is in effect a .338 Lapua with the case shortened by a few millimetres in order to make space for longer VLD bullets within the same overall length? Or is the case diameter different?

Tony, that’s my opinion too

It seems that Norma has no plans to offer loaded cartridges in this caliber. Their 2008-2010 catalog (edited in 2008) show a wrong illustration(?) and lists empty cases as “planned products”. Their 2011 catalog lists empty cases as “new products”.

In 2008 I have seen pictures of cartridges loaded by Black Hills. Boxes were of red color (“old style”) and marked “SAMPLE 338NM-0168-1”.

Loaded ammunition is currently offered by Black Hills (new boxes) and Cor-Bon.

There are also cases headstamped .338 Norma Mag JAMISON. No loaded ammunition is currently offered.

Not to rain on anybody’s parade but there were several .338 wildcat 1000 yard Benchrest cartridges, with similar or better ballistics, as far back as the mid 1990s. Norma simply captalized on the Boomer craze. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

JMHO

Ray

I would regard it over here as a quasi - military calibre found only in tactical sniper type events. Except for the fact that it caused a major embarassment on the Bisley Ranges and is now banned ( which I will explain in a minute*) we would see more of it.

*Bisley ranges are now in the heart of a residential area of Surrey. At the back of the ranges there is a two mile “safe” zone intented to take out any bullets that go over. Beyond that safe zone there is now housing.(!!!) I certainly wouldn’t want to live there or let my kids play in the garden. If you are particularly interested you can see it on Goole maps as Red Road. The name defines the meaning.

There is also the arc of fire consideration which I believe extends at 15 degrees outwards each side of the arc of fire. All based on what would be safe with a .7.62

About five or six years ago a .338 bullet was found embedded in a car door on a car delearship which should have been well outside the fall out zone and the arc of fire in a place called West End. It caused a massive panic and came within a hairs bredth of getting the ranges closed down. Who ever fired it must have been grossy high and off line.

The reason was that Walter Mitty types with no ability to use them in proper controlled manner had been buying .338 sniper rifles at great expense ($ 5000 is typical) and using them at Bisley without authority.

They are now well and truely banned but the only .338s you will find are on more remote ranges up country by people who seem to favour dressing up in SWAT type clothing and living in some sort of fantasy world.

New regulations were implimented at Bisley and are rigidly enforced. .375 H&H is banned as is .22-250 for being above the power/ velocity limitations although neither could remotely exceed the boundaries.

But coming back to the OP .338 is only found here in “tactical” rifles. however it does illustrate the range and effectiveness of the calibre.

Fede,
yes, those were the first Norma projects of a new bletless magnum line of cartridges. As can be seen the 300 and the 338 Norma mag are different than the actual cartridges.

The 375 remained a drawing since “there are a lot of too similar 375 cartridges on the market” as the Norma guy wrote me

My 300 and 338 samples are part of the first lot ever produced by Norma ( pre-commercial lot) and i received them as new empty cases that I later assembled with proper bullets for display purposes

[quote=“VinceGreen”]I would regard it over here as a quasi - military calibre found only in tactical sniper type events. Except for the fact that it caused a major embarassment on the Bisley Ranges and is now banned ( which I will explain in a minute*) we would see more of it.

*Bisley ranges are now in the heart of a residential area of Surrey. At the back of the ranges there is a two mile “safe” zone intented to take out any bullets that go over. Beyond that safe zone there is now housing.(!!!) I certainly wouldn’t want to live there or let my kids play in the garden. If you are particularly interested you can see it on Goole maps as Red Road. The name defines the meaning.

There is also the arc of fire consideration which I believe extends at 15 degrees outwards each side of the arc of fire. All based on what would be safe with a .7.62

About five or six years ago a .338 bullet was found embedded in a car door on a car delearship which should have been well outside the fall out zone and the arc of fire in a place called West End. It caused a massive panic and came within a hairs bredth of getting the ranges closed down. Who ever fired it must have been grossy high and off line.

The reason was that Walter Mitty types with no ability to use them in proper controlled manner had been buying .338 sniper rifles at great expense ($ 5000 is typical) and using them at Bisley without authority.

They are now well and truely banned but the only .338s you will find are on more remote ranges up country by people who seem to favour dressing up in SWAT type clothing and living in some sort of fantasy world.

New regulations were implimented at Bisley and are rigidly enforced. .375 H&H is banned as is .22-250 for being above the power/ velocity limitations although neither could remotely exceed the boundaries.

But coming back to the OP .338 is only found here in “tactical” rifles. however it does illustrate the range and effectiveness of the calibre.[/quote]

These kinds of stories continue to support the arguments that citizens in general are too stupid to own guns. My understanding is that gun control in the UK is nearly a total lockdown with major collections having been confiscated. How can folks be buying up $5000 sniper rifles and firing them in populated areas while collectors lose their guns ???

Thats a difficult question to answer without putting everyone to sleep. The collectors you refer to were handgun collectors who fell foul of the handgun ban. One, perhaps the most, famous example was a man who cropped up on here for a while (ArmourerJim)

Gun ownership is not a lockdown but the hill is a steep one to climb, getting steeper all the time. That basically is how they restrict you endless rules and regs. Eventually most people lose the will to go on.

I would say candidly it eliminates the regular guy who can’t be bothered with all the red tape, security and conditions. The gun nuts are more inclined to persist but don’t quote me on that because unfortunately (myself included) its only us nuts left now. You have to have a real stubborn streak .

I would say the root cause of the problems mentioned in my previous post is “boys and their toys syndrome” and it happens with cars, motorcyles, boats etc as well. Spending power greater than ability or intellect.