.345 WSL Function Dummy

I have a cartridge headstamped W.R.A.CO. .351 S. L. loaded with a nickel-coloured spitzer bullet and with a dark-coloured case which looks like lacquered steel, but the cartridge is entirely non-magnetic. The primer pocket is empty and blind. What do I have?

Thanks for any help.

Tony,

Maybe a .345 Machine Rifle? Can you post a picture?

Here is a related thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14185

Dave

Tony, Dave is right, you have an original .345 WSL function dummy. The CN bullet shoud be secured with a three dot crimp. Also, note that the black stained brass case is rimless and the extractor groove is much wider than that of the .351 WSL case.

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen, and yes, Fede, it has a three-stab crimp.

I just picked this up at the German ECRA meeting. The possibility that it might be a .345 did cross my mind, but I thought they had their own headstamps, so I am delighted with this!

Tony,

Great find there! Congratulations! Is there a category that one might show up in in a future update of you website photo gallery?

Dave

For the time being my ammo photo gallery is restricted to anti-tank rifle rounds and above - extending it to include the smaller stuff would be a major task.

However, the .345 would fit nicely into a group photo in my article on the history of assault rifles and their ammo…

I was just watching a documentary on Amazon Prime Video “Guns of America” with Ian McCollum, he stated the 345 WSLl was a 351 WSL sightly modified and used a longer incendiary bullets, designed to shoot down airships in the experimental 1917 Burton machine gun designed by Frank Burton designer of the WSL line. ( per show) Only one firearm known.
ALSO on U-Tube, click on picture.:

Ian (in the show) explained the firearm and field strips it,
Great series by Ian McCollum, by the way.
1 Like