.35-30 Maynard Model 1865

35-30%20Maynard%20Model%201865

Just purchased this Maynardcartridge in a deal involving numerous other items for my modest collection. It is WAY outside my field, which makes it an interesting addition. Two questions:

1. There is no headstamp or other markings. It does not have a “rivet” in the head, unlike the other example I found in this forum. Who is the likely manufacturer?

2. How do I classify this cartridge? (Obviously it is not a centerfire in the modern sense.) It has no exposed primer, and I am unfamiliar with this type of cartridge. Barnes’s catalog, COTW, describes it only as “externally ignited.”

Dr. Edward Maynard- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Maynard

Some people would classify this type of cartridge as “separate primed” or “percussion primed”.

Below is the first page of an article from the ICCA (precursor to the IAA) bulletin #365 on Maynard thin rimmed cartridges-

Here is a PDF of an article on percussion primed cartridges that while talking about fakes has a nice listing of percussion cartridges including Maynard cartridges-

Percussion Cartridges, Maynard, Burnside, Gallager, Smith, Marston; GR 1960…pdf (3.4 MB)

Brian

1 Like

Not on topic and therefore; withdrawn.

Thank you, bdgreen. Can anyone suggest the identity of the cartridge manufacturer? As I noted, there are no markings.

Possibly Massachusetts Arms Company produced the cartridge. This company is mentioned in the Wikipedia link above but there may have been others who manufactured Maynard cartridges but that is something I know nothing about. Hopefully someone with more expertise will help answer your question.

Here is an example of different makers of Maynard cartridges I found in Small Arms And Ammunition In The United States Service; Berkeley Lewis, 1956:

Note the 3 packets in the blue rectangle, the box on the left is .50 Maynard cartridges produced by B.C. English, Springfield Mass., the center packet is most likely .50 Maynard also but produced at Frankford Arsenal and the last packet is .37 Maynard produced by the Confederate States Army. All three packets probably date to the US Civil War.

Enlarged view of the three Maynard cartridge packets discussed above.

Brian