.350 Legend? Winchester

" January 31, 2019

SAAMI Announces Acceptance Of The 350 Legend Cartridge

NEWTOWN, Conn. — The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute® (SAAMI®), the firearms and ammunition industry’s technical standards-setting organization, is pleased to announce the acceptance of a new cartridge and chamber standard, the 350 Legend (350 LGND), introduced by Winchester Ammunition.

(https://winchester.com/350-Legend)
“SAAMI member ammunition and firearm companies are driven by technological innovation.” said Randy Bimson, Director of Technical Affairs and Technical Advisor of SAAMI. “Winchester’s 350 Legend cartridge brings a fresh look and innovation to a very mature cartridge category opening up new options to both the hunter and recreational shooter. SAAMI is pleased to include the new 350 Legend in the SAAMI standards.”

Winchester Ammunition is addressing a rapidly growing market segment, “straight-wall-cartridge-compliant” deer-hunting states. A growing number of states that previously restricted deer hunting to limited-range slug guns or muzzle loading firearms are now allowing rifles chambered in straight-walled centerfire cartridges, many of which originated as handgun cartridge designs. The Winchester 350 Legend offers a significantly flatter trajectory and better terminal performance over current straight-wall cartridges while remaining compliant in most applicable states.

“The 350 Legend is a high-performing, straight-walled cartridge that dominates in velocity, energy, recoil and affordability, all of which are vital to our customers,” said Matt Campbell, vice president of sales and marketing for Winchester Ammunition. “Winchester is dedicated to innovation and it’s paramount that we continue to deliver meaningful, technology driven products that have a tremendous impact on the hunting and shooting sports industry.”

More information about the current 350 Legend offerings can be found here .

The SAAMI cartridge and chamber drawings and velocity and pressure are available here .

SAAMI was founded in 1926 at the request of the federal government and tasked with coordinating the industry’s technical data, creating and publishing industry standards for interchangeability, reliability, performance, quality and product safety, and promote safe and responsible use of firearms. Learn more about SAAMI at www.saami.org ."
350%20Legend

1 Like

When looking at the metric chamber dimensions, something went wrong with the conversion from inches to millimeters.

Well, it was Winchester that did the drawings… :-O

Sorry, have not been a fan of Winchester ammo for quite a long time- collecting,
sure, but for shooting, well, not unless I don’t have a nice club or spear handy.

Reminds me of the 351 WSL

Which is really a lot of fun to shoot and probably OK if the deer are small.

Yea, well, I want to see a realistic comparison between a couple other similar cartridges, like .35 Remington or .357 Herrett.
Silly making a coparison between much smaller [ .22, .243] & larger [.450], except were ignorant consumers are concerned, but, I guess it would not sell at all if they did that.

I have built 3 bolt rifles and 2 AR-15’s in cartridge I developed over 2 years ago , the Winchester round is the same . I have 2 years worth of load development and use on game . Over 100 wild pigs shot . A 150 bullet is really too light for the case . 180 to 200 work much better . It hits harder than both the 300 ob and the 6.8mm out to 200 yards . The .357 dia XTP works great subsonic . It has had no problem with pigs up to 250 lbs . Nowhere near the runs off’s like the 300 bo or 6.8mm , good penetration and a big hole . You can have a very small action , light , short barrel bolt rifle with light recoil and muzzle blast . You can have 30/30 power out of an AR-15 . It gets the job done out to 200 yards no problem .

Personal opinion:
.300 Blackout should never have been developed- from a ballistic standpoint at least. I have a .44 mag lever action that will do anyting it can do out to 200 yards, and the .450 SOCOM shoots rings around it, if you want a big game rifle on an AR action.
I have never been impressed by the .30-30 as a hunting round, since there are so many eqivalent sized rounds that will outperform it.
Just sayin’.

It looks nice on paper… I’m interested in seeing how much a box of 20 rounds will go for. If it’s like most straight wall rifle cartridges, it won’t be cheap.

Their cheap fmj is $9 for 20 and hunting ammo is $21 . The 30/30 has taken more deer than any other cartridge and is fine out to 200 yards .

[quote=“dbdog9, post:10, topic:31761”]
“The 30/30 has taken more deer than any other cartridge and is fine out to 200 yards .”

It may be ‘fine’, but I prefer ‘good’ or ‘better’.
I have also seen more deer that required multiple shots, and more wounded deer run off, from a .30-30 than any other centerfire big game cartridge over the past 50+ years.
Use it if you like, but you will never convince me to use one, and I will never suggest a .30-30 for hunting…

1 Like

Maybe poor marksmanship?

1 Like

I have seen good hits, just not good kills… unlike with my .308 or .30-06 with single shot kills out to 300+ yards, with only 2- out of well over 100- not dropping in their tracks after the hit.

FYI ,
Now available.
Left is 300 Blackout, Center is 350 Legend, right is .223 Remington.

The 350 Legend, also called the Winchester 350 Legend, was introduced by Winchester in 2019
At the time of this writing in April 2019 Winchester still states on their web-site: “The World’s Fastest-Straight Walled Hunting Cartridge with 20% less recoil than the .243 Winchester and 20% more penetration." Some people and I disagree, but the cartridge does pack a lot for it size, with a 145 gr FMJ; Muzzle; 2250 Feet per Second, 1630 Foot pounds P.S.I.
This cartridge will be used in the new Winchester lightweight bolt-action XPR rifle line and also in the AR-15 platform rifles, making this yet another of many in the AR-15 cartridge category.
Current loads available will be in various projectiles and weights from 145 to the 265 grain (265 grain is subsonic),.
To me, this cartridge is reminiscence of the old WSL ( Winchester Self Loading) cartridges in .32, .35, .351 and .401 calibers, which led to the .30 Carbine cartridge used in the famous small 30 Carbine machine gun used in World War II.

2 Likes

Looks about the same in size & performance as 366 tkm.

No way it will supass 300 blackout, thats here to stay. It does what it was meant to do very well & uses the most popular components out there. 223 brass & 30 caliber bullets. Neither of which the 350 does.

The 265gr subsonic sounds neat, about the same performance of 9x39. Time will tell if the 350 hangs on, but its doubtful.

One wonders if the caliber will hang on to regularly outsell something mundane like .30 Carbine over the coming years. I think at best it will achieve an initial 6.8 SPC level of success, and equally probable, at worst; it might find itself in the sewer with .30 Remington AR, or worse - 25-45 Sharps.

I can see it catching on a little in those states that have to use straight walled cases for hunting. I’ve never lived in one so I’m not entirely familiar with the details. I’m not sure what this would do that a warm 45-70 or similar cartridge can do other than fit in an AR or bolt action easier than existing rimmed cases though.

It does look like it could use 357 pistol bullets, which can be cast for pennies so that would give a guy cheap plinking ammo. Doubt that aspect would be lucrative enough to get into a new & niche caliber though.

Probably die off about as quick as the 22 Nosler, which had potential… but they pulled a Remington & put it in rifles with too slow of a twist rate to use of heavy for caliber, high BC bullets & take advantage of its case capacity.

What else are they gonna try to stuff through an AR magwell next?