.351 WSL headstamps

I realized today that I had several different headstamps for this caliber and wanted to show them. I believe the most recent headstamp in this caliber was from Jamison, and is a JBA headstamp, dating from at least a couple years ago and for a few years running before that. Other than what I show below I know there is a R-P, and a U.S.C. CO. headstamp, as well as all of the various ART dated heasdtamps that went to France. What else is out there, and what is the one I have with only the lower half headstamp?

The bottom row below shows headstamp images I found online:

The one with the 1/2 headstamp is a Western manufactured round made for Sears.
Some others.
351%20US%20%26%20R-P

I have a sealed box (plastic wrapped) printed with Cabella’s logo. Cabella’s is a chain sporting goods company in the US. Have not opened it. Presume it was loaded by one of the smaller reloading firms using Jamison brass.

There was a thread here which I believe, noted the French variations.

I have dates 2 16, 3 16, 4 17 and 1 18, I think others were noted either there or perhaps in the Australian club’s newsletter.

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/french-351-w-s-l/8368/25

Some of them:

I assume the Cabelas logo is incidental since these have only ben produced by small boutique outfits like Jamison, Precision Cartridge,or Reeds over the past 30 years anyway. Lots of reused packaging and reformed brass finds its way into the harder-to-find calibers which various small firms load.

After the Initial purchase of both .351 and .401 WSL rifles from Winchester in 1915, the French ammunition system beganmaking their own ammo. The rifles were tried in the Trenches but problems with mud saw them issued to the Aviation, for observers and static balloon crews.
20 round magazines were also introduced.
Riebel ( of CSRG) developed an Assault rifle using the .351 case necked to 8mm Balle D. The rifle was developed at his Gladiator Auto and Bicycle factory which had made the CSRG M1915 Fusil Mitrailleur.
The design had possibilities, but after the war was quietly abandoned.
The French rifles after the war were relegated to the colonies and to police use.
BRITAIN also acquired a number in both calibers…Kynoch made ammo for them.
There are several archived posts on the WSL on Gunboards and also “Gazette des Armes”.

Doc AV

Matt, here is a rare one made by FM “San Lorenzo” in Argentina:

Current being made by using 357 Maximum (not Magnum) brass and milling out the rim.
I am surprised Hornady doesn’t do a run of these, as still a lot of rifles on the market.
Being the forerunner of the 30 Carbine a nice piece of history.
I am also surprised Starline does make the brass now that Jamison is not, although in speaking with them about 351 WSL, 225 and 284 Winchester they have all they can do now.

Dave,

I think the .32 W.S.L., as chambered in the Model 1905 rifle, was the cartridge used as a basis for the .30 Carbine.

Fede,

Nice one you show there! Thanks for sharing.

As a general question: Other than the Model 1907 Winchester, were there any marketed firearms chamber for this cartridge?

Dave

The rifles are fun to shoot & surprisingly accurate at short range (50 m.). Functional ammo can be made by filing down the rims of .357 Magnum revolver cartridges. The rifles themselves have close fitting parts, not at all suitable for military applications (mud, etc.). The wooden forearms are thin & rather fragile.

Per Phil Sharpe, Complete Guide to Handloading, 1937, the operating pressures of both the .351 and the .401 are very high; nearly 50,000 psi.

Exists samples 35 and 351 SL. from Austrian Georg ROTH factory with classic headstamp: GR / * / * / * /

Yes .32 WSL, lead to the .30 Carbine cartridge.
Commercially the .32 WSL and .35 WSL were not as powerful, leading to the .351 WSL which was very well received, and later the .401.