.357 magnum hollow and soft point bullets appear in police s

howdy , when did factory loaded .357 magnum hollow and soft point bullets appear in police service???
many thanks robbt

That’s an impossible question to answer. Which police service? In a country where every big or little police department adopts its own sidearm (or none at all, with the officers buying whatever they want within certain guidelines - primarily in small, rural areas), adoption of that caliber and any given form of bullet could be spread over the entire life of the .357 Magnum cartridge. I can’t research when each bullet type first came out, because I am leaving for a 4-day match at 5:00 AM tomorrow morning, and need to get to bed soon. If no one has looked up those dates for you by the time I come back the first of next week, I will try to find it. Again, though, it will only be the dates the bullet forms appeared from a factory in that caliber. No one could possibly supply an accurate answer as to when police started using them, for other than perhaps a few police departments in their general vicinity.

San Francisco Police did not have .357 magnum revolvers until years after WWII, when the cartridge was already more than a decade old - perhaps two decades. I was a young adult when Model 28 Smith and Wessons showed up with them. I have an SFPD Model 28. Before that, the department guns were, for the most part, .38 Special fixed-sight 4"-barrel Colts and S&W, although officers could get permission to carry other guns within guidelines.
They went from .357 Revolvers to Beretta 9mms, and now have changed to SIG-Sauer .40 caliber. Today, the trend seems to be towards the .40 caliber, at least in this part of the world (Western US).

Some departments that used the .357 caliber (or .38, 9mm, etc., for that matter) didn’t, or don’t authorize the use of HP ammunition. I am not sure that every department does today. I know that in the Prison System, in long guns, FMJ ammunition only is used, or that was the rule until at least 15 years or so ago. We purchased some decent Winchester Model 94 .25-35 caliber carbines from San Quentin Prison, giving them new Post-64 (much poorer quality until Winchester started to revert back to old standards) Model 94 .30-30 carbines in trade in the deal. I asked why they were selling one Model 94 to get another and it was because they could no longer find any factory to make them FMJ .25-35 ammunition.

Here is some information on .357 Mag. loadings by Remington: These are introduction dates in their catalogs:
I have complete listings from 1936-1983.

R224 .357 MAGNUM 158 gr. METAL POINT HI-SPEED, KLEANBORE New in 1937. This is only loading listed until 1948.

9835 .357 MAGNUM 158 gr. LEAD HI-SPEED, OIL PROOF New in 1948

7835 .357 MAGNUM 158 gr. SOFT POINT HI-SPEED, KLEANBORE New 1963

7235 .357 MAGNUM 125 gr. SEMI-JACKETED HOLLOW POINT HI-SPEED, KLEANBORE New in 1971

7135 .357 MAGNUM 158 gr. SEMI-JACKETED HOLLOW POINT HI-SPEED, KLEANBORE New in 1971

R357M6 .357 MAGNUM (BRASS CASE) 158 gr. LEAD KLEANBORE New in 1978

R357M7 .357 MAGNUM 110 gr. SEMI-JACKETED HOLLOW POINT KLEANBORE New in 1979

R357M8 .357 MAGNUM 125 gr. SEMI-JACKETED HOLLOW POINT KLEANBORE New in 1983

I don’t have many catalogs after 1983 so I can not address introductions since then. But to answer robbt’s basic question, at least to the introduction of Hollow Point’s and Soft Points, but not necessarily in Police Service, and only by Remington (althrough I suspect other companies dates are about the same) it would be 1963 for Soft Points and 1971 for Hollow Points.

very interesting information , many thanks robbt

ps I have come to the right place.