.357 Rem Mag

Is there any such thing thing as a .357 Rem. Mag.? I am NOT referring to the .357 Remington Maximum. I just got a cartridge marked .357 Rem. Mag. However, it looks like a standard .357 Magnum and is headstamped “BARNES 357 MAGNUM”. It is loaded with a 140gr. XPB HP bullet.

Just a simple error probably. Its easy to get confused

I would guess that cartridge is the one that Barnes loads in-house with their XPB bullet, the VOR-TX:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2BB357M2-1.html

I didn’t know they had their own headstamp on it, but it doesn’t surprise me. The VOR-TX is marketed as a hunting load and the only pistol calibers they offer in this line are the .357mag, the .44mag, and the .45 Colt. There has been an explosion of loaders doing the lead-free thing lately, and Barnes has done very well with their XPB bullets. I think around 6 ammunition companies load these solid copper hollow points. It’s funny to see the wide-ranging price difference for essentially the same product by these companies.

The VOR-TX is, not surprisingly, the best priced version in many cases.

I agree it is likely just a typo error, but with so many new case types coming out I wanted to check in case it was something I had missed.

Ron,

Never seen Remington in relation to the .357 Magnum.

When you say “marked .357 Rem. Mag.” do you mean someone wrote on it or otherwise labeled it with that description or is this on commercial packaging? While the .357 Magnum has usually carried the “Smith & Wesson” tag when one is added, the .41 Remington Magnum and .44 Remington Magnum may have led someone to assume that Remington was in on the .357 as well?

Dave

Looks like both Able Ammo, and Hinterland outfitters use the term “357 Remington magnum”

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/barnes-ammunition-21543-rdbx-p-35692.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=121633

Matt-Thats interesting, since that is the exact Barnes load I have. Does anyone have a box to see what Barnes calls it on the box? I looked at their website and they just call it a .357 Mag. there. I wonder where those two companies got the .357 Rem. Mag nomenclature.

Dave–Yes, the name is on a tag around the case.

I believe that Winchester did the initial Factory development for the 357 S&W Magnum but Remington dit the development of both the 44 Magnum and the 41 Magnum as well as the short lived 357 Remington Maximum.

If it is on a tag around the case, then it’s probably the retailers/distributors inventory control tag. I have noticed that over the past several years the big retailers like Midway, Cheaperthandirt, and all the other big ones are putting description/barcode stickers on ammo boxes which cover half the box. It’s annoying when you want a box for collecting purposes but they usually peel off alright if they are fresh. I’m guessing whomever typed it up from the distributor just mistakenly put “rem mag”, and maybe they had just been doing some .44 rem mag and that thought was stuck in their head.

Ron,

A picture of the box Matt linked to from one of the outfits that calls it “.357 Rem Mag” shows it on the top as “357 MAG 140 GR. XPB”.

Matt,

I think Ron is indicating that an individual round he acquired has a tag affixed to it with the “REM” designation. Likely not done by a retailer I would guess but rather by the person selling the single rounds.

jimg11,

You are correct that it was Winchester that developed the .357 Magnum cartridge in the 1930’s though I’ve never seen Winchester used in its designation, only Smith & Wesson.

Dave

The only synonym to “.357 Magnum” shown in both Erlmeier-Brandt “Handbuch der Pistolen-und Revolver-Patronen, Band II, Zentralfeuer, Amerikanische und Britische Kaliber,” and White-Munhall, “Centerfire American and British Pistol and Revolver Cartridges,” is “.357 S. & W. Magnum.”

I got the cartridge as a single round from a dealer in cartridges for collectors with a paper band around the it calling it a “.357 Rem Mag.” I am sure, since the Barnes website lists it as just a “.357 Mag.”, that that is all it is. But that still leaves a question mark about where the two dealers in shooting ammo got the nomenclature from.