37 MM Shells

Was at the local gun shop today and they had gotten in three 37mm shells in a trade. All are deactivated. Each is marked different on the base.

1.) AMLOT/37mm GUN/MODEL OF 1918/4114 47 WPS Co

2.) P.D.P.s 154/1.17/37-85 with a bursting bomb

3.)MANUFACTURED BY WINCHESTER REPEATING ARMS CO. NEW HAVEN. CONN. U.S.A./ 1-91 with a star with 17 in the middle

These are brass cased, two are solid shot, one appears to be H.E as it has a detonator in the nose of the projectile. The Winchester has a cracked case.
All are approximately 6 inches long.

Best guesses as to what they are and their value?

Pics would help alot. Headstamps, especially.

French 37x94 Model 1885
P.D.Ps is for Pinchard Denys Paris
This cartridge is very common in France. I bought one nice specimen for 8 euros ($12).
Michel

Not mine still in the gun shop. Trying to figure out what they are worth. 1,2,& 3 are what the headstamps read.

[quote=“Maverick1112003”][quote=“usmc69”]
2.) P.D.P.s 154/1.17/37-85 with a bursting bomb
[/quote]
French 37x94 Model 1885
P.D.Ps is for Pinchard Denys Paris
This cartridge is very common in France. I bought one nice specimen for 8 euros ($12).
Michel[/quote]

Michel,

Would the Winchester be for the same gun? All three shells look the same.

AJ
1stSgt. USMC(RET.)

AJ

If they are all of the 37 X 94R variety, the Winchester marked one will probably bring a premium. Not sure about the #1. The #2 is pretty common. If it was ME “bidding”, I’d be maxed out at about $100 for the lot. As always, condition means everything, so that “value” would be negotiable.

Rick

Bought all three for $50.00 today.

The shell on the left is the Winchester manufactured one. I just noticed that the projectile is marked also. It is marked with the following: MANUFACTURED BY THE WINCHESTER REP. ARMS CO. NEW HAVEN. CONN. U.S.A. on one line. The next line is: HOTCHKISS PATENTS NOVEMBER 14-76. OCTOBER 31-82. FEBRUARY 13-83. This shell is dated 1-91, the other two are dated 1.17 and MODEL OF 1916. The other two are marked for the 37mm Gun and 37-85. The Winchester is not caliber marked. Does this mean it is for something else?

Nice ones! Not up on all the details, somebody else will have to pipe in on that. Just wanted to express my appreciation for your posting the pic of them. Are they yours now?

usmc69, good deal!

Yes, they are mine. Paid $50 for the three of them. One or two will go to a friend of mine. I am keeping the Winchester, even though the case has a couple of small cracks. Just noticed that at the mouth of the case is a small anchor…any ideas as to the significance of that?

AJ

[quote=“usmc69”]

Yes, they are mine. Paid $50 for the three of them. One or two will go to a friend of mine. I am keeping the Winchester, even though the case has a couple of small cracks. Just noticed that at the mouth of the case is a small anchor…any ideas as to the significance of that?

AJ[/quote]

Hello usmc69

If that cracked case was mine I would anneal the neck and shoulder to remove the brittleness and so prevent further damage, otherwise it can only get worse.

gravelbelly

[quote=“gravelbelly”][quote=“usmc69”]

AJ[/quote]

Hello usmc69

If that cracked case was mine I would anneal the neck and shoulder to remove the brittleness and so prevent further damage, otherwise it can only get worse.

gravelbelly[/quote]

Heat with atorch and let gradually cool?

AJ

AJ
Heat to a dull red than quench (cool quickly) in water.
Brass is the opposite of steel, slow cooling brass hardens it

I just want to add this old “lost” topic since it has cool pics.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5885&hilit=37mm

[quote=“sksvlad”]I just want to add this old “lost” topic since it has cool pics.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5885&hilit=37mm[/quote]

Thanks for the thread on the 37-85 shells.

The Winchester is for a Hotchkiss gun. Found this: The term “Hotchkiss gun” also refers to the Hotchkiss Revolving Cannon, a revolving barrel machine gun invented in 1872 by Benjamin B. Hotchkiss (1826-1885), founder of Hotchkiss et Cie. It was a built-up, rifled, rapid-fire gun of oil-tempered steel, having a rectangular breechblock which moved in a mortise cut completely through the jacket. It was designed to be light enough to travel with cavalry, and had an effective range beyond that of rifled small-arms.

The revolving Hotchkiss cannon had five 37 mm barrels, and was capable of firing 43 rounds per minute with an accuracy range of 2,000 yards (1,800 m). Each feed magazine held 10 rounds and weighed approximately 18 pounds (8 kg). The cannon was accompanied by a horse-drawn ammunition limber, which held 110 rounds plus six loaded magazines, totaling 170 rounds. [1]

Hotchkiss also produced a range of light naval guns and, in the 1930s, anti-tank guns. The naval guns which originated in the 1880s were mostly 3 pounders and 6 pounders and originally were widely used (by Britain and Russia amongst others) for close-up defence of major warships against small craft armed with the newly invented locomotive torpedo. When improvements in torpedo range made them obsolete in this role, they continued to be used as small-craft armament up to and including WWII. In WWI the British motor gunboats which won naval supremacy from the Germans on Lake Tanganyika were armed with the Hotchkiss 3 pounder and the Hotchkiss 6 pounder was adopted by the British army for the first tanks. During WWII the 6 pounder was the main weapon of the early units of the numerous and successful Fairmile ‘D’ Class motor gunboats of the Royal Navy, not being entirely replaced by more modern weapons until 1945.

Here are more “lost” photos, I just can’t find the “historian” thread.

Never mind, found it, it is under “William Halford”.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6907&p=48350&hilit=william+halford#p48350

Two more pictures of the Winchester Shell.

That is one well preserved headstamp!!!