37 x 84R

I picked up this case today because I thought it looked unusual, and for

Might be a dutch flare pistol case - pic?

I’ll sort out a pic tomorrow. It seems far too sturdy to be a flare pistol case, but anything seems to be possible with cartridges.

Here are the photos:

Case on right with .50 BMG for scale on left:

Base of case:

Hi Falcon,

Based on the fuze and the fact it does not have a stamp, I do think this is a cut down UK 37 mm. I have several shell cases with exactly the same fuze and no stamp (some have a VSM stamp).

Regards,

Hoeksel

[quote=“Hoeksel”]Hi Falcon,

Based on the fuze and the fact it does not have a stamp, I do think this is a cut down UK 37 mm. I have several shell cases with exactly the same fuze and no stamp (some have a VSM stamp).

Regards,

Hoeksel[/quote]

Hello Falcon and Hoeksel,

I have just checked a very similar unheadstamped case in my collection. It has three long crimp marks at 85mm so these would just disappear if it was cut at 84mm.

gravelbelly

If it was cut then someone did a very good job of it. Cut down cases cases are usually done with a hacksaw and filed off (or sometimes even just left). This one is exactly level across the top and shows no hacksaw marks. The brass on the neck is also very thin, so cutting it with a lathe would be difficult. This makes me think it is a factory cut case. If gravelbelly has another similar case than it may just be correct length.

Falcon

After reading your response above I realised that I had worded my earlier contribution badly. My unheadstamped case looks very much like yours except that it retains its full length of 94mm. It has three long, narrow, crimps in the neck at a height of 85mm. If it was cut to just remove these crimps then it would look identical to yours. It is possible that yours was cut at this point in order to remove a projectile. I have seen cases where a saw was used, running in the projectile crimp groove, to remove the crimp in this way.

gravelbelly

I’ll just write this off as a cut down case then, I had that possibility in mind when I bought it.