.375 H&H Dummy?

I was digging and found a .375 H&H Mag round with a struck nik primer and a plain wood bullet. Headstamp is SUPER-X 375 H&H MAG. Would there be a legitimate dummy of this configuration, in this caliber?

I can’t think of any use for such a thing although .375 H&H is one of my potential interest items I have never come across a dummy round such as you describe. How good is the wooden bullet? would it stand firing?

You mean as a blank? The primer appears fired, but there is no powder sound in the case, seems empty. I’ll post a pic later.

Sounds like a movie prop to me. This information is probably not worth 2¢ but…

Pics added. Sorry about the last. In a rush out the door.

It certainly doesn’t look like a home made bullet. There are some very subtle curves and it looks totally “right”.

Another interesting one! Oh I love this forum

I don’t know of a single Winchester-Western dummy made like this in any civilian caliber, and would doubt that it is a factory dummy. That is not to say it is not a “purpose-driven” dummy made at some other source.

John Moss

This is almost certainly a Movie Dummy. Back in 1986 I had the chance to go though the Ellis Mercantile Gun Shop. They let me go though the Ammo Locker and said I could take samples of whatever I wanted. I got about 200 assorted dummies and blanks. For instance, I got a series of .405 Winchester that had been made for a movie about when Teddy Roosevelt went on safari in Africa. I got two different rose crimped blanks, a noise blank and a flash blank, a dummy with a small hole in the side with unsnapped primer and a standard bullet used for close-ups when loading the rifle, a dummy like yours with a painted wood bullet used for longer camera shots where the cartridge just needed to look like a loaded round and they even had a dummy box (which I did not take) with just the upper half of the cartridge glued into a wood insert.

Altogether, I got about 10 of the wooden bullet dummies in various calibers.

Notice also the “factory” crimp. And it doesn’t appear to be shot out. A very interesting dummy that, completely out of the ordinary. The bullet appears to have been made on an automated lathe not a backroom job intended for a long shot in a movie. The curves and radii are perfect.

I guess we are never going to get to the bottom of it but what an interesting example. Does the case show any signs of resizing? I cant see any logitudinal scratches or stress marks although there is a ring just befor the base. .375 cases headspace on the base so chamber tolerences are not that tight and the cases are usually a bit blown after firing so resizing would leave marks and the shoulder would most likely appear more rounded than it is. Fired .375s, like .303s usually have quite rounded shoulders because the shoulder is not critical so the chambers are generous in this area to prevent tight rounds causing malfunctions. It is after all a dangerous game calibre and the rifle manufacturers don’t want malfunctions.

I reckon it was made from a live round that had the original bullet pulled which does lend support to Ron’s theory of a movie blank but why go to the trouble of making a wooden bullet for it? surely they could have just replaced the original? Painted if necessary to hide a soft point. Unless the filming was done somewhere that they couldn’t have real ammo, but where? and for what movie?

The picture of the primer is blurred but I would be interested to know of it was flattened as in a round that had been live fired. A primer from a genuine fired case would be extemely flattened in a .375. Espescially if it was the original Winchester primer which is quite soft. Or has it just been popped to make it inert.

Vince–Ellis Mercantile had all the equipment to make a “Factory” crimp. And the head Gunsmith was as good as ANY factory gunsmith and had ALL the tools (Lathes, etc.) to make the bullet shapes as accurate as needed. I asked why the two kinds of Dummy and was told that they did they did not use the dummy with the hole because, unless the prop people were very careful in placement, a hole might be visible. In close-ups, that could be controlled because the cartridge was actually being held by a person. As for the wood bullet, since there was no hole, they did not want a real bullet so the round MIGHT be confused with a live round as dummy, inert, unsnapped primers were sometimes used.